Anyone care to explain….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
…what the hell this sumbitch is? Sitting on my truck mirror and wasn’t scared when I got close which made me a little nervous. It wasn’t small either.
View attachment 285833View attachment 285832
It's a Robber Fly. Do a quick search on google and compare it with a Horse fly which do look like a "housefly" but are larger and they do hurt when they bite. My Dad was allergic to them, and the deer fly, but the pic you posted is the Robber Fly also known as an Assasin Fly.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is an entomologists dream. Bugs every damn place. A lot of them bite/sting (chiggers, mosquitos, ticks, wasps, ants, spiders, flies) & some a bit more unexpected.
I've even been bitten by Ladybugs....(some 'lady') while mowing the lawn. Another thing that kinda caught me by surprise was a Black Corsair- can't post a pic, but it's a type of 'Assassin Bug'-... sharp stinging bite, but pretty temporary effect (in my case).

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ve smashed a few in the face riding during this hot weather, don’t make a smack like a junebug but feels same. Never thought about what bugs I’ve had on my face and teeth 😆
You know when you hit a locust, gives out a death cry as it bounces off, all others are compared from pin needles to rocks. Had a buddy learn why I pull way over from bull haulers, it’s not only all the bugs to worry about.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ve smashed a few in the face riding during this hot weather, don’t make a smack like a junebug but feels same. Never thought about what bugs I’ve had on my face and teeth 😆
You know when you hit a locust, gives out a death cry as it bounces off, all others are compared from pin needles to rocks. Had a buddy learn why I pull way over from bull haulers, it’s not only all the bugs to worry about.
I think cattle can tell when a motorcyclist or bicyclist is down wind of them. I only miscalculated the safe distance once and the vents in my helmet fed the mist straight to my face. 🤮

Latest posts

Top Bottom