Anyone convert their attic into a room?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you own and live in the property you can do Most of it your self.

Do you Want to hack into the electrical, plumbing and mechanical, and Understand Everything about them?

Thats why you pay someone with that knowledge, just choose carefully.

A mistake could burn or flood or collapse, injuring you and your family.

Thays where "the fun guys " come in, They are your best insurance policy.

Buildings , and the trades are done to a minimum standard, would you want anything Less for your Familys safety?

Good Luck and Be Safe

Your response tells me that you don't live in Edmond.

If you pull a permit you can't do any Electrical, Concrete, Plumbing, HVAC and other things yourself....olny licensed contractors can touch it (That means don't even install a ceiling fan - you need to pay a contractor $150 to do it)

"Fun Guys" are not an insurance policy..."Fun Guys" are the Ahole inspectors that nitpick crap to death for the hell of it.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you pull a permit you can't do any Electrical, Concrete, Plumbing, HVAC and other things yourself....olny licensed contractors can touch it (That means don't even install a ceiling fan - you need to pay a contractor $150 to do it)

"Fun Guys" are not an insurance policy..."Fun Guys" are the Ahole inspectors that nitpick crap to death for the hell of it.

So what happens if you diy and don't even apply for permits?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sorry for your bad experience, but someone is telling you some Bad info.

And No I wouldnt live in Edmond

You might be better served if you knew the codes, then you wouldnt have to rely on those nitpicky little fukcers...:)

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for your bad experience, but someone is telling you some Bad info.

And No I wouldnt live in Edmond

You might be better served if you knew the codes, then you wouldnt have to rely on those nitpicky little fukcers...:)

I own a 7 figure Property and Real Estate investment Company with all the holdings in Edmond Real Estate...I think I might have a handle on Edmond building Codes.

But yeah, you're probably right:thumbup3:

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what happens if you diy and don't even apply for permits?

The issues of doing it this way would be:

If caught by the City during building (in Edmond) you would be tearing everything down and paying a fine.

If anything you built was ever a cause for damage, Insurance probably wouldn't cover it (since it wasn't done by a licensed contractor)

The square feet you add wouldn't be "Official" although that only matters if you sell it - and you wouldn't pay property taxes on the increased value since the Assessor wouldn't be made aware.

There could be issues when you sell the house with a "do it yourself" structure that could hurt the overall value of your property.

....if you never sell the house and it's a simple room, then DIY is fine. If, however, you are wanting to build an area that should have value and you might sell some day, then DIY could end up hurting you.

OOOOOOO,.....I doubt it....have a good one ;)

I'm not sure what you're doubting, but luckily for me, I couldn't care less:loser:

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
anything can be moved out of the way but you didn't mention what you have for flooring joists, this would be my primary concern.. you describe you've done some framing/sheetrock but not a lot, well this project could and probably will become a major undertaking... my advice would be to call out a couple reputable contractors preferably through the BBB and pick their brain a little, if time allows I'd even be happy to come over and give you some insight. I've done construction a long time, built houses, yada yada.. Anyhow 'I' joists may be required unless you have a short span from load bearing walls beneath..then 2x12's would suffice

and as others have said if you're going to dump money into something why not get a return investment and actually add value to the home??

Latest posts

Top Bottom