Anyone convert their attic into a room?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt everyone , especially when theyr credentials are ....I have a sixfigure...blah blah blahty
just cause they say so dont mean squat to me .
But Thanks for the info, Ill put it in my files... ;)

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt everyone , especially when theyr credentials are ....I have a sixfigure...blah blah blahty
just cause they say so dont mean squat to me .
But Thanks for the info, Ill put it in my files... ;)

Who said anything about 6 figures?

Listen, I gave the OP solid advice and you decided to contradict me by telling me that a) You wouldn't live in the City where I live (Tells me you have no idea about my City's regulations) b) Someone gave me "Bad info" and c) I'd be better served if I knew the codes.

I then let you and the OP know that I have very legitimate credentials so that a decision could be made on whether to follow my advice - or yours.

So, besides having a keyboard in front of you; what are your credentials?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My place in northern California I had a contractor buddy who had done some stuff for us in our rent houses come up and turn what previously was just a 3rd floor storage space or attic space in a 125 yr old Victorian style house into some really cool rooms, it was just dark ugly space before. My plan was to eventually put in a small recording studio up there when I had the time. Since Im only there every other month for a month or so we only worked on the project when I was there, but I would never have been able to do any of it myself though- a year of votech carpentry in highschool did not prepare me for building shite, besides an Aframe cabin kit I put together that was as easy as paint-by-number. In my own personal business I always say you get what you pay for and finding a good contractor that you can work with is well worth the money- but if the guy is one of your best friends that does not always equate into getting a discount. I think I got some good work done for the money tho.

Attachments

• 5-11brookepics032.jpg
    5-11brookepics032.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 5-11brookepics033.jpg
    5-11brookepics033.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 5-11brookepics034.jpg
    5-11brookepics034.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 5-11brookepics031.jpg
    5-11brookepics031.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... heres a pic of a closet they built up there, and the new stairway to all the floors. (I included pics of the 1st floor bathroom and the 2nd floor bathroom to show off my guys other work at the house).

5-11brookepics036.jpg
5-11brookepics015.jpg
5-11brookepics019.jpg
5-11brookepics022.jpg

Last edited:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did this in Edmond many years ago, but not from scratch. We were building a home with one of the big home builders. At the framing stage, I realized that the huge attic space over the garage would make a great play room. So, I stopped the builder and made him re-frame for it (for future completion). He beefed up the floor joists, put in an entry door and built in a window for that required extra emergency exit. Several years later, I finished it out myself and only had to reroute a few wires and a dryer vent. We enjoyed the room, but it would have been pretty difficult to do that, had I not had the bones built during construction. And, the poster above is right, just before selling the house, I asked the county tax guys to come out and re-measure the square footage. For the sale, I wanted credit for the larger footage. The guys that came out only gave me a fraction of the footage that I added. They said that they have some formula that they have to use for attic additions.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who said anything about 6 figures?

Listen, I gave the OP solid advice and you decided to contradict me by telling me that a) You wouldn't live in the City where I live (Tells me you have no idea about my City's regulations) b) Someone gave me "Bad info" and c) I'd be better served if I knew the codes.

I then let you and the OP know that I have very legitimate credentials so that a decision could be made on whether to follow my advice - or yours.

So, besides having a keyboard in front of you; what are your credentials?

Apologys, didnt mean to contradict your info.
Edmond does indeed have too many rules.. ( I looked them up ) thats why I wouldnt live there, but it's a great place, my Doc's are up there.
I'm not Telling anyone any thing, just passing information. It is indeed different up there... ;)
I'm an ICC licensed mechanical and building inspector...(not code enforcement, thats the grass guys...LOL.. ;) )
Follow whatever you guys think is right...jus tryin to help....

I always Listen...Have a Good One

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did this in Edmond many years ago, but not from scratch. We were building a home with one of the big home builders. At the framing stage, I realized that the huge attic space over the garage would make a great play room. So, I stopped the builder and made him re-frame for it (for future completion). He beefed up the floor joists, put in an entry door and built in a window for that required extra emergency exit. Several years later, I finished it out myself and only had to reroute a few wires and a dryer vent. We enjoyed the room, but it would have been pretty difficult to do that, had I not had the bones built during construction. And, the poster above is right, just before selling the house, I asked the county tax guys to come out and re-measure the square footage. For the sale, I wanted credit for the larger footage. The guys that came out only gave me a fraction of the footage that I added. They said that they have some formula that they have to use for attic additions.

They probably don't consider anything with less than a 5' knee wall as usable space. I design trusses for a truss manufacturer and while I haven't personally run it personally we had a contractor who said there was no reason to design attic rooms with less than 5' knee walls because a lot of places won't count that space when figuring square footage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom