Anyone else addicted to flashlights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
used to be quality flashlights was the exclusive providence of USA mfg lights.... and all the bleeding edge technology came from USA.

well that's no longer true ... but for different reasons than you think.
bleeding edge technologies still come from USA via Candlepower Forums. But the Chinese companies have the leg up in mfg capacities. especially in speed to market.

Three major developments have driven a chunk of the innovations in flashlight technologies.

First was introduction of Luxeon LED emitters. Arc Flashlights, then a garage operation, introduced worlds first Luxeon flashlights. putting out a whopping 25 lumens with a puke green tint. Bleeding edge technologies used a voltage regulated parallel circuitry delivering 350 milliamps at the emitter with a forward voltage of about 3.7v

Second was the consumer use of Li-ion technologies. Cpf users were the world's first adopters in used of individual li-ion cells without power management protection. There were many instances of li-ion batteries blowing up in those early days.

JSB or Jon Burly bet the bank by mortgaging his house to pay for tooling for world's first R123 protected li-ion cell. the Chinese promptly stole his technologies and the rest is history.

Third was development of Cree LED emitters ... overnight output in lumens doubled... flashlight mfg had the choice of doubling output or doubling runtimes. at that time the highest output luxeon emitter was the fabled Xbin 5watt emitter (google MR-X brethren map). output was 250 lumen out the front end. but most emitters put out about 60 lumens out the front end.

high end flashlights have long put out way more light than is usable.
most of the time any more than about 60 lumens will over flood what you are trying to illuminate. less than 25 lumens is more than plenty for most common chores.

don't get blind sighted by all the lumens claims.... what really counts is usability. this is where American flashlight mfg still have a substantial edge. Chinese flashlight mfg usually put all sorts of stupid options that get in the way of using your flashlight.

Surefire still gets the grade A marks for making lights that are user friendly first with unmatched reliability. their weakness has always been cost.... Surefire has always been among the most expensive light available.... no apologies from Surefire... Quality costs!!

from left... Surefire L5, M2, U2, McGizmo Ti PD, Surefire Ti Titan, McGizmo/Arc Ti AAA, NiteRider HID ...

Sebenza folder was just given to my son for his Eagle Scout gift.
[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My collection is growing steadily.

I got my new 4Sevens Quark 123² Tactical with a warm white LED today and I'm loving it. :hyper: Almost the same tint as a SureFire incandescent 6P, maybe a little more on the rosey side. I'll try to get some pictures.

I got a 4Sevens Quark 123² Turbo (S2) last week to replace my Olight as a thrower. Its tint is a little too green when compared to my others, but is actually a little on the warm side when you're not comparing it to anything.

Love these 4Sevens and their moonlight modes.

Anyone else on here an addict?

I'll buck the popular opinion - I hate the moonlight modes of most of my flashlights.

I've got a Quark Mini 123 and love it, but with the low-end was just a few lumens brighter. It makes for a great minimalist EDC (it goes along with the J-frame and Izula).

My main EDC is now the new 220L Sunwayman M10R or my Fenix PD20 - both good lights, but the Sunwayman is very nice (and its newer, so its getting used more for now). I've got a Surefire L1 Digital Lumamax that used to get carried a lot, but now mostly sits on top of the gun-safe.

I've got 4 Surefire G2s with Cree LED upgrades in them - love them so much more now - longer life and brighter light (2 have weapon-light mounts and spend a bit of time on my ARs).

I just sold an ITP SC1 and was actually very impressed with it. Have sold a few Inova lights and a few various Surefires as well to narrow what I have down to what it is now (I still feel like I have too many).

Between knives and flashlights, you can spend a good portion of your gun-money :D

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have a question for yall, what is a good weapon mounted flashlight for an AR-15?

After the incident that happened out here yesterday, I realized that it would have helped if I had a light, I only have around $40-50 to spend, and I see a bunch that is in my budget but don't know anything about them.

It has to be one that has a pressure pad and within $40-$50, what do yall suggest

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good, with pressure pad and $40-$50 don't go together. Pick 2 of the three. Personally, I'd choose a Surefire G-2 in an Elzetta mount, but even that is going to run you around $70 + shipping for both of them new. You might be able to pick them up off ebay for a little less.

Nothing cheaper will be something you can count on when you need it most. :(

cueball

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Addicted to flashlights here :)
I own a SF E2D LED, a SF 6PX Pro, a SF 6PX Tactical, a Streamlight Sidewinder, a Streamlight SL20, a couple Prinston tec LED headlamps, a Inforce 6 LED, a 3D cell Maglight w/Led conversion, a 3C cell rayovac Led outdoor light, a 2AA mini Mag Led and a couple other cheapies.
:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom