The new Fenix PD32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a couple of years now I have been a big fan of Fenix flashlights, so when I was asked to test the new PD32 for Fenix, I jumped at the chance.

Why Fenix? Well, at first it was the price. As with anything else, the price compared to other flashlights was the most important factor to me. I was way off on this as I found that many of the leading competitors had much more impressive lights, at a much higher price. After buying a few of the higher priced lights, I decided to give Fenix a try, and boy was I surprised. My first light, and still among my favorites is the PD20. Lightweight, small, and very powerful. I was hooked. Now, the PD32.

The PD32 is a 315 lumen powerhouse that runs on two, CR123A Lithium, or one 18650 Li-ion rechargeable batteries. It throws a very impressive beam up to about 450 feet. All in a small, lightweight, tough package.

Now for the testing. I loaded my PD32 with 2 good quality CR123A batteries and set out testing the light. The first thing I noticed, was kind of a shocker to me. One of the down sides of any powerful torch is they tend to heat up in turbo mode, or the highest setting. The PD32 was different. My first thought was that because the CR123A is smaller than the 18650, that the small gap between the battery and the side of the case acted as a heat barrier, so I tried my theory out on the 18650 battery, and much to my surprise, there was very little heat, even after 10 to 15 minutes of use. It seams Fenix did their homework when designing the housing encasing the Cree XP-G LED, and their homework paid off.

Now I am not one to crunch numbers, and testing this light was no different. I am looking at real world, real time results, and this little light delivers. As I stated, I have owned many of the higher priced competitors on the market, and when I tried to compare them to the Fenix, it was really an unfair comparison, the Fenix beat the competitors in every single category, from battery life, to heat dispersion, to beam brightness and distance. The PD32 fits perfectly in my big hands, and has a great grip to it. One thing I really liked about the light is the ease of access to the multi modes of the light. Fenix decided to put a second push button on the side of the light to access the 4 brightness modes and the two flash modes, one being the same S.O.S. feature found in many of the other Fenix lights.

My favorite, the low power 9 lumen setting. This one I had to put to the test as the numbers just didn’t sound feasible. Fenix touted 200 hours at 9 lumens, my test, with a fresh set of CR123A batteries, an incredible 204 hours and 12 minutes before the light ran out. I was amazed. I then tested the light at the full 315 lumens on the 18650 and it worked as Fenix describes, after 28 minutes on turbo, the light switched to high output, 130 lumens, and the light remained lit for another 3 hours and 18 minutes. Very impressive in my book. Now the next test was a crude but very simple durability test, I ran the light over with my Jeep, not something I would advise, but the light kept on working. The glass held up without so much as a chip. After that, I decided to try something I don’t think anyone would try in real world situations and I tied the light to my fishing pole, turned it on turbo, and at 11:00pm, tossed it overboard, another test I wouldn’t recommend. The depth finder was showing 45 feet and I could see the light all the way to the bottom, before it sunk into the Oklahoma mud. I reeled it up, tuned it off, and proceeded to take the battery out and check for water damage inside, again, another test passed with flying colors.

My conclusion? Hands down one of the best lights I have ever owned. I tried as hard as I could to make this light fail with no luck. Not only did the PD32 meet or exceed all of the claims made by Fenix, it even passed some crazy world tests that I threw at it. The Fenix PD32 adds to another of a great line of lights produced by what I consider one of the finest flashlights manufacturers in the market. Good job Fenix, great little light.

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love my 3 year old fenix PD 30 these are the best bang for the buck in the flashlight world and yet people go out and spend double & triple what these bad boys cost (PD-10 TK-15 LD-25)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a die hard Surefire guy for the last 4 or 5 years, I've recently gotten into Fenix flashlights as well.

My first was an LD15 but I sold it because I didn't care for the twist on/off feature. In the mail now is a Fenix E11 which has the tailcap switch.

I'll let ya know how it is when it arrives. ;)

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wanted to get into Fenix for a while, but have been dissuaded by their lack of a dedicated defensive model (AFAIK). How do you feel about the momentary-on functionality? How easy is it to accidentally press too far and go to fully switched on? How possible is it to accidentally switch modes? I like the idea of dedicated mode-switches, rather than double tapping the tailcap, etc, as with other brands.

And thanks for the excellent review. Fenix is wise to use this testing/review program. I'm pretty tempted to buy one after reading this.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any recommendation on the best place to purchase the Fenix PD32 from?

Fenix-Store.com just got bought by a group of people in Broken Arrow. David Chow, founder and owner of 4Sevens, started it a while back before making his own lights, so the customer service reputation is solid, and it has free worldwide shipping.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a die hard Surefire guy for the last 4 or 5 years, I've recently gotten into Fenix flashlights as well.

My first was an LD15 but I sold it because I didn't care for the twist on/off feature. In the mail now is a Fenix E11 which has the tailcap switch.

I'll let ya know how it is when it arrives. ;)

Welp. I've had this little Fenix E11 for a little over a week now. Here's what I've got to say about it.

When I set out looking for a small AA light I could put in a Mexpedition Micro Pocket Organizer, I didn't want one with a ton of "special features" like strobe, SOS, beacon and all that ********. A high and a low would suit me just fine. I also wanted a tailcap switch activation over a twister.

The Fenix E11 fit the bill. At first, it's measly price tag (around 25 bucks +/-) kinda scared me away, so I bought a Fenix LD15 instead. While the LD15 is a GOOD light, it's a twister not a tailcap. Surefires and their tailcap switches have ruined me. Therefore, I sold the LD15 and bought the Fenix E11.

Wow! What an awesome torch! :woohoo1:

Answering your question, it's not what I would call a "multi mode" light, it only has TWO settings - a high an a low. No strobe, no beacon, no SOS...just a high and a low.

The high comes in around 105 lumens. Because the throw on the E11 is not exactly HUGE, it reminds me a lot of the Surefire L4 with it's "wall of LED light." However, it'll light up an averaged sized room or a dark hallway like it's high noon.

Fenix says it's low setting rates at 32 lumens, but I think it's closer to 45 or 50 because it's not much less than the high. The low setting is considerably higher than the low on my Surefire LX2, which SF rates at 15 lumens.

The main reason I chose the Fenix E11 is it's simplicity of use.

Instead of twisting the bezel and cycling thru all the modes to get to the high or playing beat the clock and twisting it once then once again within one or two seconds, you can decide if you want high first or low first and it will ALWAYS stay thataway.

Let me explain.

When you insert a battery and tighten down the bezel, you are at the high setting - 105 lumens. Twist the bezel a quarter turn and you are at the low setting - 32 lumens. The E11 remembers where the bezel is and everytime you hit the tailcap switch, it will give you a high setting if the bezel is tightened down or it will give you the low setting if you leave the bezel unscrewed a tad.

This will never change over ANY period of time. If you want it on high CONSTANTLY (like me) just leave the bezel tightened down and everytime you hit the switch, you are gonna get the full 105 lumens. If the low setting is what you like, just turn the bezel a quarter turn and everytime you turn it on, it'll be at the low setting. It's just that simple. And you don't hafta turn the light off to change modes. If you have it on high and then wanna go instantly to low, just turn the bezel. If you are on low and then suddenly need more power, just turn the bezel. No more scrolling thru low, then mid to get to high. No more trying to remember if three turns is the high or if it's the strobe or... :scratch:

Easy-peasy. :D

I'm a die-hard Surefire guy first and last. But I gotta say, the Fenix E11 is an awesome light. One of the best I've ever owned. Here's a link to tell you more. :thumb:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=151

Latest posts

Top Bottom