Anyone else Fly Fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobber Down

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started about three years ago. I'm using a 6wt temple river outfitters 2pc rod with a white river reel.
We have gone trout fishing at least twice a year, to lake Tanneycomo or the lower mountain fork for the last 25 years Always used spinning gear until taking the plunge. I'm finally learning presentation, mending, and the casting is coming along. I've been using a 9' tapered leader with Rio 3.2 lb tippit. I was at Tanneycomo last fall, and complained in the fly shop about all the trout coming to my zebra midge, only to swim off. The guy said they were seeing the tippet, and sold me some 2lb fluorocarbon. Immediately started catching trout, and stayed on them all day.
Pic is my favorite place to fish on Tanneycomo.

View attachment 27135

Dennis where do you stay when going to tanneycomo??? Wife and I have been going to the White River the last few years and thinking about trying Tanneycomo this year...

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been a flyfisher for a few years now. I use TFO rods. The one I use the most is my 8'6" 4 wt with Allen reel. I have a shorter 3wt with an orvis BBII that's my small stream rod, I also have a 9' rod with an Allen reel. Most of the fishing I do around here the 4wt is plenty. Tie a few flies as well but haven't tied any dries as I'm to cheap to buy hackle. I mainly fish nymphs underwater. Flyfishing is my hobby and I really like doing it. I need to go, it's working on 2 months since I last went.

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be fishing the Taylor River, as well as spring creek and the reservoir here in a few months. Can't wait. I think I am going to buy a few flies for bass fishing and go give it a shot. Should be a lot of fun!

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fish the Quartz Creek in Pitkin (20 miles from Gunnison) every summer. I use a Winston 9' with an Orvis reel 5 wt. it is now my farvorite type of fishing since I first learned in 1999!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for 35 years and I love it!

#5 weight rod for trout / Hobbs Creek large arbor reel...

#7 weight rod for bass / Ross reel...

#9 weight rod for catfish, gar, carp and drum / Sage Reel...

DAVID

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too many rods/reels to begin to list. I may have an unhealthy addiction to fly fishing.

The Gunny, Taylor, East River etc are some of my favorite places. The biggest brown I ever caught was in the middle of a snowstorm on the East River just as it flows out of Crested Butte. If you get the chance, head up there when the Kokanee are running.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4 wt Redington Rod w/ a Redington Surge reel. I fish in Colorado in small creeks in Mineral and Hinsdale county near the upper Rio Grande. I tie flies more than actually fly fish. I also enjoy catching bluegill on a fly any chance I can, but for Okie fishin' I usually use spinning gear.

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fish the Quartz Creek in Pitkin (20 miles from Gunnison) every summer. I use a Winston 9' with an Orvis reel 5 wt. it is now my farvorite type of fishing since I first learned in 1999!

ever been up to the cemetary in pitkin? Next time, take your rod with you and fish those little streams through the cemetary. its a ball!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom