Anyone else Fly Fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis where do you stay when going to tanneycomo??? Wife and I have been going to the White River the last few years and thinking about trying Tanneycomo this year...

We stay at Lillys landing. Phil Lilly is one of the best guides on Tanneycomo, and he has a blog on Ozarkanglers.com. He fishes almost every day, and puts up what he caught them on. In the fly shop at his resort, he also posts the same info.

Great fly shop, great resort. I've turned several people onto this place over the years, and have never had a bad report....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 4 wt Redington Rod w/ a Redington Surge reel. I fish in Colorado in small creeks in Mineral and Hinsdale county near the upper Rio Grande. I tie flies more than actually fly fish. I also enjoy catching bluegill on a fly any chance I can, but for Okie fishin' I usually use spinning gear.

I love the bluegill as well. We had a city pond that consistantly produced bluegill big enough to eat, but this year they restricted it to youth fishing.. Fair enough, I can deal with that.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for about 24 years with the same rod that one of my dads buddies gave me when I was a kid, I have about 6 or 7 jigs that Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston tied for me when I was a 12 when I went to a fishing expo at basspro up in Springfield. It was funny I was sitting there watching them make them and all these guys were coming by trying to talk bass fishing with them and Bill saw me watching and I started talking to them about fly fishing and he just handed me the ones they just made and said here you go you can have these all these guys don't seem to care about fly fishing, and they gave me some signed hats it really made the trip for me. So when it come to fly fishing I just hit the ponds and the creeks around here mainly catch perch and some bass every now and then down on polecat creek I will catch a catfish and a few fish that I have no idea what they are.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for about 24 years with the same rod that one of my dads buddies gave me when I was a kid, I have about 6 or 7 jigs that Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston tied for me when I was a 12 when I went to a fishing expo at basspro up in Springfield. It was funny I was sitting there watching them make them and all these guys were coming by trying to talk bass fishing with them and Bill saw me watching and I started talking to them about fly fishing and he just handed me the ones they just made and said here you go you can have these all these guys don't seem to care about fly fishing, and they gave me some signed hats it really made the trip for me. So when it come to fly fishing I just hit the ponds and the creeks around here mainly catch perch and some bass every now and then down on polecat creek I will catch a catfish and a few fish that I have no idea what they are.

very cool. We have a polecat creek that runs through my farm. Sadly it hasn't had water in two years.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go every winter to Lake City/Gunnison. I use a St. Croix 7' 3 wt in the small streams and a St. Croix 9' 5/6 wt for the bigger streams and rivers. If you ever stop by the Mocha Moose in Lake City, be sure and check out my picture! It's of a monster male brown in winter spawn colors. Chris, the owner will gladly show you the picture.

We catch rainbow, brown, brooks up Henson Ck., and the occaisional cutthroat. If you go in September or early October, you can catch Kokanee. Use a big flashy white, silver or red bass fly and the Kokanee will hit it, then hang on for dear life!!!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try fly fishing, but like most parts of our sport, it's a bit expensive to get started, and with the murky water around the metro area, I can't bring myself to commit to the initial purchase. Even for just a cheap starter "kit". Seems like it'd be a blast no matter what size fish hits the fly.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've fly fished for 20+ years. Tie my own flies too. Lots of farm ponds for bass, Texoma for stripers, Okla., Colorado and Missouri for trout.
Even used a flyrod in a bass tournament at McGee Creek once, we placed 2nd.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to learn to fly fish. Any recommendations on books or videos for instruction? Also need to get into a rod and reel that won't break the bank, in case it's not for me.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been fly fishing since I was 4 that was 62 years ago. I used to tye fly for Andy Anderson in Oklahoma City. I shake to much with my hands now to do that. I've got 17 fly rods 10 reels and 8 kinds of fly line. I fish warm water, coldwater and oceans. now I wheelchair bound I still fish like at Dry Run Creek in Mountain Home Arkansas and other places where I can get a chair. I taught both fly fishing and fly tying in the past. I just don't get out as much as I used to. I used to fish about 10 times a month. Now not so much. Iv'e caught trout, salmon, grayling, bass, stripers, redfish, marlin, catfish ( mostly channels) and bluegill and I've loved all. i'm a co-moderator for the LINKED Fly Fishing forum. But I still love to shoot and hunt also. I started deer huntin g and bird hunting to get materials to tye flies with. I'm willing to visit about it any place and any time, just like guns. i started shooting at 5. I began with my dad's 1911A(he was in the Army) and i began shooting ducks a 6, but mostly they took me along to carry those old wooden decoys.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ever been up to the cemetary in pitkin? Next time, take your rod with you and fish those little streams through the cemetary. its a ball!!!

All the years I've been going there, I've never fished up by the cemetery. I've been by it several times, but never fished close. Our cabin is in town on State Street. I usually fish up in Middle Quartz, down on Quartz between Ohio City and Pitkin, or both sides of Cumberland Pass.
The last few years I haven't fished too much because I've been helping my kids at the kids' pond and beaver ponds. My oldest caught a 20.5" Rainbow two and a half years ago when he was 9 at the kids pond.

Latest posts

Top Bottom