Anyone else have factory Speer ammo/brass problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with nickle cases in 357 magnum.
Of course most of my loads are cast lead and not maximum.
I have shot max loads with gas checked cast and 2400 and no issues.

I do not flare very much at all just enough to get about 1/2 of the gas check into the case.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with nickle cases in 357 magnum.
Of course most of my loads are cast lead and not maximum.
I have shot max loads with gas checked cast and 2400 and no issues.

I do not flare very much at all just enough to get about 1/2 of the gas check into the case.
I only load cast lead in all my 38’s and 357’s, and my loads are warm but nowhere close to max.

I’m probably just flaring too much.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe.
The flare on my cases is .001" Larger than the case below the flare if you put the calipers to it.
This is measured after the bullet it seated all the way in.
My cast bullets are sized to .357" at least for the 357 magnum I have shot for many years.
358" works but tight the 357" acts better.

Barrel slugs at .3565"
Throats on the revolver of mine measure .357"
This is the German 357. I have not measured the Smith Chambers but it seems to love the same ammo.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only load cast lead in all my 38’s and 357’s, and my loads are warm but nowhere close to max.

I’m probably just flaring too much.
Think of a piece of bailing wire you bend in the same spot over and over until it breaks. Exact same thing is happening with the cases. Not only the flaring but the resizing process as well.
Nickel doesn’t react well to being bent either, it all adds up.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those cases don't appear bulged where I would expect. It looks like they are bulging right below the shoulder and either the gun is unlocking prematurely or you have a seriously jacked chamber.

ETA: Where those shot in a .40 barrel?

This! I’d like to know more information about the firearm these rounds were run through.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those cases don't appear bulged where I would expect. It looks like they are bulging right below the shoulder and either the gun is unlocking prematurely or you have a seriously jacked chamber.

ETA: Where those shot in a .40 barrel?
Buddy’s stock Glock 19, I’ve seen some bulge before but never that extreme. I’ll put some calipers on there and measure how bad it is. The cases are not even either, huge angle and “crimped” at the end.

I don’t reload with nickel either, I’m not 100% sure if it’s true but was told along time ago the process weakens the brass and is rougher on your dies. I don’t want to take any chances so I’ve never reloaded it.
I have handloaded 45 LC in nickel because could t find brass but one shot and went to scrap pile, maybe I’m wasting it but rather be safe then sorry.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy’s stock Glock 19, I’ve seen some bulge before but never that extreme. I’ll put some calipers on there and measure how bad it is. The cases are not even either, huge angle and “crimped” at the end.

I don’t reload with nickel either, I’m not 100% sure if it’s true but was told along time ago the process weakens the brass and is rougher on your dies. I don’t want to take any chances so I’ve never reloaded it.
I have handloaded 45 LC in nickel because could t find brass but one shot and went to scrap pile, maybe I’m wasting it but rather be safe then sorry.
The nickel has nothing to do with it bulging. Speer uses nickel plated in their premium defense ammo. It’s the best brass Speer makes.

Something is serious wrong here. Bulged brass is normally bulged down by the rim of the case in the unsupported area, not way up by the neck. That brass looks like it was fired in a .40 or .45 barrel. You got something bad wrong going on with that 19.

Latest posts

Top Bottom