Anyone Ever Build A Homemade Shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at Youtube lately and see that some people have build a homemade 12 Ga and wonder if anyone has ever tried to make one? I guess a Prepper might want to try but I would think they are dangerous for anyone.

Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a ML shotgun from an old 12 gauge barrel mounted on an old ML stock and action. Used hose clamps to attach the barrel to the stock. Loaded a proof load of 200 grains of FFg and two ounces of shot, secured the gun in a Black and Decker workmate and pulled the trigger with a string about 50 feet long. When the smoke cleared the barrel and broken stock was 50 feet behind me. Never messed with it again.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never saw one but I have heard of outlaw bikers manufacturing handlebars with shotgun shells to kill cops. If I saw an open handlebar, I stayed clear.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a ML shotgun from an old 12 gauge barrel mounted on an old ML stock and action. Used hose clamps to attach the barrel to the stock. Loaded a proof load of 200 grains of FFg and two ounces of shot, secured the gun in a Black and Decker workmate and pulled the trigger with a string about 50 feet long. When the smoke cleared the barrel and broken stock was 50 feet behind me. Never messed with it again.
I haven't played with muzzle loaders in quite a while, but IIRC, a proof load should use a normal projectile for the firearm, not a massive overload. I've never seen a 12 gauge shotgun that uses a 2 ounce load. 1-1/8 or so, maybe 1-1/4. I have launched 2+ ounces out of a 10 gauge shotgun, but not a 12. The powder for the load is about 4 times what normal load should be, but not the projectile(s). I wasn't doing shotguns, but the 50 cal rifle I was loading, you dropped the ball in the palm of your hand, and covered it with powder. Powder is quite a bit lighter than lead for the volume. 200 grains might have been fine with the lighter load of shot. I think what you built there, and your results support this, was a fancy pipe bomb, not a shotgun. Maybe next time, if there is a next time, use the 1-1/8th ounce of shot instead of 2 ounces. And a hundred feet or more of string! :)

Bill <---yes, he's smart-something-or-other!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes back in my young and wild days we built a lot of zip guns just for the practice. Making a 12ga out of 3/4 inch gas pipe is pretty simple. Use pipe strap to secure it to the "stock" and wire wrap the whole barrel and stock. The idea was the same as the Liberator pistols. It only had to be good for a shot or two then you take your targets gun.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some guy on youtube build a 12ga zip gun he decided to add a choke, he made the choke by cutting notches around the pipe like a castle nut then screwed a nut down on it to make the end of the barrel about the diameter of a 410, it exploded when he fired it, then he said he would investigate to find out why it exploded? guess he didn't realize at some point a choke becomes an obstruction

Latest posts

Top Bottom