Anyone for a Dove hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would an OSA Dove hunt be fun?

• Total voters

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$10? maybe they could buy your shells and clean your birds too:anyone:

Well they don't have to buy my shells and I can clean my own birds, but the commercialization of hunting is one of the reasons I don't hunt anymore. Why on earth would I spend $50 a day to potentially get 10 birds, that when dressed out will almost fit in the palms of my hands?

Used to be if you were respectful and could hold a decent conversation with a farmer, you could get permission to hunt for free. Between Oklahoma Farm Bureau and everyone wanting to get rich these days, that friendly neighbor atmosphere is all but history. A lack of respect for landowners and the ethics of hunting by quite a few hunters hasn't helped either.

I think the world is a little sadder because of the turn we've taken. :nolike:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GLOCKTOGO- No, It is not dead. I have 200,000+ acres to hunt and not pay a dime for it. I am not saying this to bragg. I am saying it because I have earned the respect of that many landowners over the years. I work with them or they are neighbors or friends. Some of them charge $1500/ gun to hunt monster Kansas whitetails. What do we do? Stay at their house and shoot down their does and an occasional nice buck. We donate the meat. We are not brown nosers that landowners see thru. Most of these places we do not hunt but thank them for the offer and they see we are not after something we just want to be friends and you know what it works One place is 22,000 acres up by Hominy and we have been invited to deer hunt. Instead I bass fish the ponds and hunt coyotes. We are appreciated.

This will work for anybody that has the patience and that starts young enough. There are a few of the people on this board that might get to hunt with me on some of these ranches. It is all about respect for one another and respect for the land.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GLOCKTOGO- No, It is not dead. I have 200,000+ acres to hunt and not pay a dime for it. I am not saying this to bragg. I am saying it because I have earned the respect of that many landowners over the years. I work with them or they are neighbors or friends. Some of them charge $1500/ gun to hunt monster Kansas whitetails. What do we do? Stay at their house and shoot down their does and an occasional nice buck. We donate the meat. We are not brown nosers that landowners see thru. Most of these places we do not hunt but thank them for the offer and they see we are not after something we just want to be friends and you know what it works One place is 22,000 acres up by Hominy and we have been invited to deer hunt. Instead I bass fish the ponds and hunt coyotes. We are appreciated.

This will work for anybody that has the patience and that starts young enough. There are a few of the people on this board that might get to hunt with me on some of these ranches. It is all about respect for one another and respect for the land.

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate hearing that some folks still do it the old fashioned way. :thumb:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well they don't have to buy my shells and I can clean my own birds, but the commercialization of hunting is one of the reasons I don't hunt anymore. Why on earth would I spend $50 a day to potentially get 10 birds, that when dressed out will almost fit in the palms of my hands?

Used to be if you were respectful and could hold a decent conversation with a farmer, you could get permission to hunt for free. Between Oklahoma Farm Bureau and everyone wanting to get rich these days, that friendly neighbor atmosphere is all but history. A lack of respect for landowners and the ethics of hunting by quite a few hunters hasn't helped either.

Sometimes it isnt the hunter. I had access to some land that was closer to where I live than the land I own. Farmer let me hunt there for free (actually met the guy on a guided fishing trip). Long story short, hunted there several years. Always pulled deer off of it, every season, and I always either offered or gave him some cuts. Then one year, I guess some guy offered him a whole lot of money to hunt his land. Farmer told the guy about me, and the guy was willing to share the land during season. However, rather than just continue the nice thing we had for the past several year, he comes to me and says I cant hunt there anymore unless I pay the same amount this other guy is paying. Couple thousand dollars more than pays for my gas to drive to my property in western OK, plus got some tribal lease owners that let me bust bucks on their property out by Geary.

So it all worked out, but as you can see, sometimes farmers get a little greedy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to be if you were respectful and could hold a decent conversation with a farmer, you could get permission to hunt for free.

Your absolutly correct.
As a land owner I have the other side of that statement.
Way back in the day, like the 90's it was still possible to knock on doors and get a place to hunt.
Lately, "some" not all hunters have the feeling they have a "right" to hunt any where they want to. Mainly off the road, although on occasion, (like some of the trail cam pics of tresspassers I and others have posted) they will sneak onto land they don't own. You wouldn't believe how many people the landowners in my area have had to confront, either on a county road, or on their property.

I gave permission for a one day hunt to a casual friend to pheasant hunt. I found out from the GW that he had checked him twice later on. He dropped my name and the GW let him go ahead and hunt.
He had brought several other hunters with him when he came back.
I jumped him like a runaway redheaded step child when I found out.

I could go on for hours about these situations, but the long story short, its the slob hunters that have ruined it for the masses.

BTW, I don't and won't lease any ground for hunting.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your absolutly correct.
As a land owner I have the other side of that statement.
Way back in the day, like the 90's it was still possible to knock on doors and get a place to hunt.
Lately, "some" not all hunters have the feeling they have a "right" to hunt any where they want to. Mainly off the road, although on occasion, (like some of the trail cam pics of tresspassers I and others have posted) they will sneak onto land they don't own. You wouldn't believe how many people the landowners in my area have had to confront, either on a county road, or on their property.

I gave permission for a one day hunt to a casual friend to pheasant hunt. I found out from the GW that he had checked him twice later on. He dropped my name and the GW let him go ahead and hunt.
He had brought several other hunters with him when he came back.
I jumped him like a runaway redheaded step child when I found out.

I could go on for hours about these situations, but the long story short, its the slob hunters that have ruined it for the masses.

BTW, I don't and won't lease any ground for hunting.

It's a shame that a few slob hunters and people who take a mile when given an inch ruin it for a whole lot of respectful hunters. I was also taught to respect the land and leave it as good or better than you found it. I hate going to the farm pond I still have permission to fish and finding other peoples trash. I always take a trash bag and pick it up. I'd hate for the rancher to wonder whether I'd left it there.

Inconsiderate people suck! :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom