Anyone had Radon remediation done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I've been gone all weekend and just got back home. I've already tested for Radon and it's high, as in VERY HIGH. Over 200 in the basement closet where the (dry) sump is, over 20 in the basement and over 6 just upstairs. Action level is 2 so I gotta do something. I will contact the area (no local) remediation companies and get something done ASAP.
Good luck.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Installing a radon mitigation system involves several steps. The basic goal of the system is to remove radon from the home. Radon comes up from the ground, so the way this is accomplished is by drilling a hole in the home’s foundation and actively sucking the air up from the ground and expelling from the house via the roof. You heard that right: the air must go from the ground below the house, through the foundation, up through piping that runs through the inside of the house, and up and out the roof.
So, the system will require running PVC pipe through multiple stories or at the very least through a slab of concrete and out through your roof. It also involves drilling holes in your basement’s foundation and your roof, both of which must be properly sealed to make sure no radon gets around the pipe in the foundation and no moisture gets down through the roof.

The other crucial element to install is the fan. A fan creates suction in the pipe, drawing air out of the soil beneath the house and pushing it out above the house, allowing it to disperse. The fan is situated in the attic or usually at the top of the system. And if pipe does run through the attic, it should be insulated to make sure the warm air from the bottom of the house doesn’t hit cold air at the top of the house and cause moisture to condense. It would be a shame to solve one problem, radon, only to create another, moisture and mold in the attic.

The final element you’ll want to have on your radon mitigation system is a pressure gauge (manometer), usually just a fluid gauge that tells you the fan is working: it’s creating a pressure differential in the pipe and therefore pulling air up from the ground.

Of course, after your system is installed you will want to use a radon detector to regularly monitor the system and make sure it’s actually reducing the amount of radon inside your home.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Delaware, Mayes, Cherokee, Adair, Sequoyah, Ellis, Beaver, Texas and Cimarron counties (in Oklahoma) are in zones where radon must be tested for. If you have levels that high, you've got a serious problem. May not be able to get those kind of numbers down to pCi/L of 2 or even down to 4 pCi/L. Good luck and keep us posted.
We've never ran into Radon in Southern Oklahoma and the EPA has been fairly easy on the state as they see it as a problem in the North, North Central and North East US.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a house in Montgomery Co. MD that sat on a mica bed over the huge deposit running up to Camp David area.
You too? I used to live in Potomac, but the house was old (read: drafty) enough that nothing ever accumulated.

A lot of the modern problem is due to modern construction methods. Houses are built so tight these days that anything that gets in, stays in. Great for energy efficiency, but it does cause pollutants (including moisture, which leads to mold and mildew) to accumulate.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Delaware, Mayes, Cherokee, Adair, Sequoyah, Ellis, Beaver, Texas and Cimarron counties (in Oklahoma) are in zones where radon must be tested for. If you have levels that high, you've got a serious problem. May not be able to get those kind of numbers down to pCi/L of 2 or even down to 4 pCi/L. Good luck and keep us posted.
We've never ran into Radon in Southern Oklahoma and the EPA has been fairly easy on the state as they see it as a problem in the North, North Central and North East US.
Do you know any certified mitigation contractors in Oklahoma? I called the only one listed who is in Sand Springs and he KNOWS he's the only one in the state! Wants to charge me $1800 and won't even come look at my house to determine what is needed. Just says he'll come over and put something in.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know any certified mitigation contractors in Oklahoma? I called the only one listed who is in Sand Springs and he KNOWS he's the only one in the state! Wants to charge me $1800 and won't even come look at my house to determine what is needed. Just says he'll come over and put something in.
Not sure I'd be ok with that (if I was you).
There are others that serve the state. Have you tried these two?
Swat Environmental, Inc.

48 Verified Ratings
See All Reviews
(844) 389-3057
2631 Eaton Rapids Road
Lansing, MI 48911
Serving Oklahoma City, OK
Get a Quote

Brad M. Tankersley Construction Co., Inc.

6 Verified Ratings
See All Reviews
(405) 272-0400
1133 North West 1st Street
Oklahoma City , OK 73106
Serving Oklahoma City, OK
Get a Quote

Latest posts

Top Bottom