Anyone know a thing or two about tractors? Advice needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a tractor to make doing some of the chores around here a little easier, but I'm having issues figuring out what it is I need. Everything I read tends to be conjecture rather than real world experience, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Now, what I'm dealing with. I'm on 15 acres with a 1/4 mile gravel driveway, pond, trees, and pasture. About half is treed, the other half pasture. I've been using a loaner 8n with a brush hog to knock down the pasture, but that's about all it's good for, and it burns more oil than gas. I've also been using an old riding mower to do the acre closest to the house. I definitely need to be able to maintain the pastures and driveway, but would like to be able to handle pond and yard cleanup as well as the occasional fencing duties.

With those details in mind I think I'm looking for a midsized 4x4 tractor with a front end loader and, of course, a 3 point hookup. It'd be nice if it could work out as a jack of all trades, with a belly mower to replace my tired old rider, but I'm not sure budget will allow for that. I already have a box blade and a good brush hog, so those won't be added costs. Durability and reliability are things I'm looking for, too. I'm a ford man when it comes to my vehicles, but I don't know that it conveys to late model tractors or if they are the best value. Lastly, I'm looking to stay in the $10K range and am willing to go used to stay close.

So, is there anyone out there that can give me recommendations with regard to make, model, hp rating, fuel (gas / diesel), and anything specific I should look at when looking at one I'm considering on purchasing? I'm a city transplant that knows a bit about cars, but not much about tractors, so tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only new tractor that you can buy for 10K(that I am aware of) is a Northern Tool and is made in China. You will not find anyone that will work on it. I have one that came with the farm that I bought.

Kubota has a good reputation and there are dealers available. Also the price is not to high. If you decide to by used, have the tractor checked by someone you trust. I would only buy from a private party or from a dealer, not off a used equipment lot not connected with a dealer.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kubota and Deere are awfully popular. That translates into lots of places for service. Also, if you are looking into fairly new, it may be better to purchase new and and take advantage of low interest offers. Do you have a farm tax ID? Do you use your small farm as a tax write off for animals, hay, etc? If so, you can pro rate the cost of it over a few years as a tax deduction. Look into a 30-45 hp 4wd with loader. Some prefer the hydrostatic drive, but I personally like synchronized gears. Ymmv. To test drive some and see what trips yo trigger.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I've got a Kioti CK20 that is now 2 years old. No problems with it at all. It would be too small for your needs but everything I have seen about the brand is solid.
I got it with the loader and it took me less than 15 minutes to be asking myself how I ever managed to live with out it.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The newer mahindra and ls midsize diesels are pretty good and reasonably priced. I would think a 30 horse would do what you want. 4wd is nice with the loader when you have a full bucket on soft ground. The Kubotas, Deeres, Fords, New Hollands, etc are higher priced, but are probably worth it if you used it all day every day. The older fords like the 3000 can be found pretty reasonable and would suit your needs. I dont think i have seen a 4wd 3000 though. I am not really familiar with the newer model numbers.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Kubota mid size and it is ok. But parts can get up there in price. Everything else I use are John Deere. You will be able to get parts for a deere forever. I think used you should beable to get close to your number. However there are some sweet deals for new package set ups. Use it as a "farm" use and write it all off on taxes. The package deals I see are with tracto, trailer, box blade, brush hog. You can save some since you already have these.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I don't mind used, but I can also throw more cash at it or finance. I have kubota and deere dealers local, so I can certainly check them out. 30HP minimum, then. Check. Unfortunately I don't have a farm tax number. I just bought the place to get away from the city and as a hobby, so I don't know that I can justify one. I do get my homestead exemption, though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Zero problems from my 06' Mahindra 2815, 28hp 4x4. Another forum member here has a 50hp LS and it's a nice tractor as well. Just couldn't make myself pay the extra $$ just because it was orange or green. Brushhogging, food plots, maintaining driveway and road are my Mahindras primary uses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom