Anyone know a thing or two about tractors? Advice needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same boat. When I really started looking I found many options. I settled on a JD 790 with 350 hrs on it. 4x4, loader, trailer and 5 implements for 10k. You'll need those implements. My drive is 2/3 mi, box blade a must. Tiller, brushhog, prolly use those the most. Post hole digger is nice too.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate the info. I'll be checking into the local dealers to see what they carry. I'll also be looking into the forks for the bucket as well. I can see using it to lift, and hadn't really thought about it before.

When looking at used, what hour counts are typical and what should I stay away from? I know diesels have a track record for long life, so ideally that's what I'll be getting, but I'm just not sure how the hours stack up.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On bigger tractors belly mowers don't work all that well unless the ground is SMOOTH and even then you will spend all your time turning around. You'll be better off keeping your dedicated finish mower for around the house.
If your acreage is wooded, I would recommend keeping the tractor height a consideration and look for a step-through design like that 8n but newer, stronger and with a front end loader.

Stick with a brand with support near by.

If it is properly weighted, 2wd will be just fine and cheaper.
Heavy is good! With a front end loader, you will not need front wheel weight but you will want rear weight.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Vicious, when the wife and I bought this place I knew I was going to need a tractor and a loader was a must. I was able to borrow the neighbors Massey Ferguson with a bush hog until I could find something I could afford. I also rented a New Holland with a loader for a weekend when I needed to move some dirt, nice tractor. Ended up with a 71 Ford 3000 diesel with loader and box blade. If I had the money you have I would have looked for a used Kubota but the Ford has treated me well and I can get my money back anytime I want. Tractors hold their value except for Chinese imports, John Deere's seem to be worth a $1000.00 premium because of the green paint, I would say go with New Holland or Kubota.

For sure look for 4 wheel drive especially if you plan on using it to move snow and a hydro drive sure makes loader work easier. Don't bother with a belly mower for your tractor it will be a PTA when you want to use it for tractor stuff. Depending on what and how often you mow a 3 point finish mower may be all you need for mowing. If the property is still overgrown with saplings and such then you will need a Bush Hog or what other manufactures call a rotary cutter. After the first year with a rotary cutter my place is all grass and I mow it all with an old Ford Flail Mower. Flail mowers are a bit expensive but in my opinion are much better than anything else for mowing acreage. You can still run over debris without damaging the mower and it gives a cut almost as good as a finish mower. Keep you riding mower for around the house, that tractor simply won't turn as tight and you don't want tractor tire ruts in your yard. Ya, you can put turf tires on the tractor to keep it from tearing up your yard but then it's just another lawn mower and no longer a tractor.

Get a Landscape Rake for dressing you gravel drive, you can angle it to pull the gravel back into the drive that gets kicked out into the grass. A Box Blade is good for moving and leveling dirt, finish it with the Landscape Rake. If you are going to do any fence work get a post hole digger, I borrow my neighbors post hole digger and have used it for many things even digging holes to plat trees.

Have had my Ford for about 7 years and it has been a life saver even with it's manual transmission and two wheel drive limitations. The loader is my work horse, I use it when I don't have enough strength to do the job. I pulled the bed off my Chevy pickup by myself to fix an issue with the frame using the loader. I've pulled old fence posts and unloaded countless items from my pickup that I simply couldn't have done without the loader. When I put a metal roof on the house I built a wood frame that went in the bucket to lift the metal sheets up to the roof.

That's my 2 cents, coming from an old guy that uses his tractor for more than a glorified lawn mower.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Mahindra 3510 with front wheel assist, and loader. If you have any intention of getting a loader do not go with anything but 4wd.
FYI, Mahindra is the worlds largest tractor manufacturer. They built jeeps for US troops in WWII.
Hydraulics for implements are optional on most tractors, with mahindra, it comes with the tractor. You won't want to be without it.

Currently there are no tractors less than 100 hp that are manufactured in the US. They are all built over seas including JD, Massy, etc.
We just bought a new 50 HP JD at work. Yep, a yanmar engine.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get the most HP you can afford, I feel you would be disappointed with something in the 30hp range, i'm not sure they would be of any use to me if I were to have one, but the smallest tractor I have is a 6410 and it gets parked for the 4440 most of the time.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When looking at used, and looking at the hours, I'd be more concerned about how the hours were put on, as to how many. A year old machine with 1000 hrs and it was done by grandpa mowing road sides, no big deal. A year old machine with 1000 hrs and it was previously owned by a rental company, no way I'm considering that machine, you get the picture:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom