Anyone know a thing or two about tractors? Advice needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a little New Holland 4X4. It's served me well for about 8 years now. I like Ford Blue. I always new my tractor would be a Ford or New Holland. My advice, go with what is supported/represented locally near your location. If the Kubota dealer is across the road and has been dealing Kubotas at that location for twenty years, buy a Kubota. Me? I like blue. Good luck.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mahindra 3510 and like it really well. 35 HP 4x4 with a front end loader. It will do everything I need, but do wish I'd gotten the hydrostat instead of the shuttle shift.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find a good one, a JD 4020 would do more than the little tractors for the same money. Parts are available and they are quite reliable as they were designed as more than a "hobby" tractor. They are just quite a bit older.

Another one, albeit a bit more expensive ($15-17k + or -) would be a 30 series or 40 series JD. We still run the heck out of some 4430s and they are great general purpose tractors.

FWIW I know precisely jack about a Kubota, Mahindra, or the like. I have always wondered why for the same money, you would get a really small tractor when you can get a tractor made for commercial use. YMMV.

9mmTeacher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not from the area but I know New Holland has some great package deals available for tractor, trailer, bus hog and loader. Interest rates at 0. Got lots of sizes and combos. I was a Deere guy but bought a 4wd NH 55hp about a year ago. Seems to be a good solid tractor.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get into a Kubota you need to make sure it is not a Grey market import. They are near impossible to get parts for.

We had an old ford we replaced with the Kubota and the. Later on with a brand new Deere that has been the best little tractor ever.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I don't mind used, but I can also throw more cash at it or finance. I have kubota and deere dealers local, so I can certainly check them out. 30HP minimum, then. Check. Unfortunately I don't have a farm tax number. I just bought the place to get away from the city and as a hobby, so I don't know that I can justify one. I do get my homestead exemption, though.

If you do any thing on the acreage to make money(Truck farm, raise calves, goats, etc.) you may be eligible for a farm tax number, check with your county assessor. Also, one thing that you will use more than you think, is a set of forks that attack to the front loader bucket. I use mine to move any thing that I can,t carry, and would not be without them.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how important 4x4 is to you, but there are tons of old ford tractors out on craigslist, etc. I bought an old Ford 641 32 horse with 5 implements for 4k a few years back and it's done everything I've asked it to.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Mahindra. I've had a 3316HST for a couple of years, and I love it. If you anticipate a lot of loader work, the hydrostat is the way to go. Mahindra is an Indian brand, but all of their smaller stuff is made in Japan by Mitsubishi. They seem to be a sleeper in the market at this point; I would buy mine again.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Yanmar diesel tractor I bought in the 1980's and still use it. It's 4 wheel drive and never have had any trouble with it. I don't think they still
sell them though but believe Yanmar makes John Deere's small diesel engines etc. I would get a Deere probably as they have dealers in the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom