Anyone know anything about antique survey compasses?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specificallly one with the name G Chandlee on it? From what I can tell the maker was Goldsmith Chandlee(1775-1821). One of his compasses was valued by the Antique Roadshow in the 20K range. I found another that sold for 17K.

My wife's grandmother decided on her own to move into an assisted living center last month. We are in the process of preparing an estate sale to clean the house out and get it ready for sale. Somehow finding something like this doesn't suprise me. My wife's grandfather was a diamond setter by trade. He could have taken this in on trade for some other work. No telling. One thing for sure is, if this is a unique piece of history it got saved from a table in an estate sale marked for $50. I'm going to try and track down someone who can value it for us. If the family decides to sell it the money will go to living expenses for her grandmother.

i258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_20120317_162311.jpg

i258.photobucket.com_albums_hh272_dblystone_IMG_20120317_162306.jpg

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

I'd be calling someone at the National Museum of Surveying if I were you. Burklee on here is a surveyor and he might have good info.

It doesn't appear that yours has the conversion tables engraved on it either which according to what I'm reading makes it even more rare.

Ps. I think the name on the lower, right "W.H. Harding" is who the compass was originally made for.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that the name "Harding" is the original owner. I've emailed the author of one of the articles I have read. Trying to get some more information. Such as the lack of conversion table.

Someone has buggered up the screws on the back and one is missing. A second was an 1/8th of an inch backed out. I just hand tightened it in for now.

O

okbass

I am a Chandlee descendant and know a fair amount about them. A Goldsmith compass went on eBay for $3700just last week.
One attributed to famous owners (like George Washington's nephew Lawrence Livingston) go for a lot higher. I don't beleive I have seen the one you have before. I would be interested to at the very least to see it and get some pictures for my collection. I would be interested in buying it if it was affordable but I understand your circumstances.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can get to the OKC area we might be able to meet up. It just depends on timing.

Unfortunately we are going to have to find the best avenue to sell the compass. If the financial situation of my wife's grandmother was different I would be hanging onto this piece.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your photos over to www.beerleg.com and tell them that Okiebryan sent you. They know me over there. It's a board full of long time land surveyors, many are collectors of this stuff and they will be happy to tell you more than you ever wanted to know. Someone might actually make you an offer or two.

O

okbass

If you can get to the OKC area we might be able to meet up. It just depends on timing.

Unfortunately we are going to have to find the best avenue to sell the compass. If the financial situation of my wife's grandmother was different I would be hanging onto this piece.

I understand completely. Pook and Pook auction house has sold several Chandlee compasses over the last year. I unfortunately got outbid on an Ellis and Issac Chandlee Compass last May.

Best of luck,

Ellis Chandlee

O

okbass

I understand completely. Pook and Pook auction house has sold several Chandlee compasses over the last year. I unfortunately got outbid on an Ellis and Issac Chandlee Compass last May.

Best of luck,

Ellis Chandlee

Did you ever end up selling the Goldsmith Compass?

Latest posts

Top Bottom