Anyone like big lever guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've killed enough pigs lately with my AR's that I decided to dig out the 450 for a pig gun for a while. I was going to put a Venom on it but I have decided against that. I just need to find an ok variable with 1" tube that will hold up to the 450's recoil.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 45-70 stainless Marlin and a 450 Marlin in addition to several 30-30 and 35 Remington's. Also have a couple 357 levers and a 44. But I just had to have this 460. I know ballistically the 450 is the king but having a 460 S&W in a rifle just seemed too cool to not have.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 45-70 stainless Marlin and a 450 Marlin in addition to several 30-30 and 35 Remington's. Also have a couple 357 levers and a 44. But I just had to have this 460. I know ballistically the 450 is the king but having a 460 S&W in a rifle just seemed too cool to not have.

That 460 is too cool not to have in a rifle.

The 450 may be king but it is no fun to shoot at all.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First lever was a Marlin STBL (Davidson Release) in 45-70, right before Remington started the decline of Marlins.
Marlin 1895 STBL (1).JPG

Still have that one but sold a slew of others in the quest for vintage levers and then on to Marlin Ballards. I shoot several of the vintage levers still, some out to a 1000 yds. I think these two videos are short of that but they are fun.

But the ones really fun to shoot are the old Marlin Ballards. They are a lever... of sorts. Picked up a 45-70 made about 140 yrs ago. Has a bulge in the barrel about 6 inches from the muzzle I thought would require a reline. Shot it last weekend down in Dickens Tx and couldn't hardly miss the 616yd dinger. Won a pound of powder with a strike on a tortilla sized dinger at 366yds in gale wind. Dang it was cold and windy down there Saturday. Had on every bit of clothing I'd packed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom