Anyone Near Ada (or anywhere else) Want Some Zucchini or Summer Squash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried shredding it, then drying the shreds. Run the shreds through a food processor until you get flour. You store it and use it like wheat flour. Or any other kind of flour. Can mix it with other flours too.

Pretty ingenious ...

https://www.amodernhomestead.com/how-to-make-squash-flour/

That's something we haven't tried. I do use a spiral cutter to make spaghetti noodles out of them. It's actually really good.

I'll check out that website though. That's a great idea.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me share a few of my favorite recipes for them.

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake

Ingredients

2 zucchini (medium-sized, cut in half-moon slices)

2 yellow squash (medium-sized, cut in half-moon slices)

4 tbsps fresh basil (chopped, or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)

2 tbsps green onions (thinly sliced)

1/2 tsp dried thyme

3/4 tsp garlic powder

1 cup low fat mozzarella (1/2 cup + 1/2 cup, any white cheese)

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop. Slice green onions.

Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.

When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smoked Sausage and Zucchini Skillet

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)

1 tsp minced garlic

1 pound smoked sausage, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch pieces.

1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch pieces

1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch pieces

2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise or 1 can diced tomatoes.

1/2 teaspoon Oregano

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon salt (if desired)

Instructions

Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat.

Melt butter in the pan, then add the diced onion; stir and cook until onions are soft.

Mix in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding the sliced smoked sausage.

Cook until sausage is browned; about 7 minutes.

Stir in the veggies and seasonings and cook another 7 minutes or until zucchini is tender (soft, but still has a bit of crunch to it).

Serve on it's own or over a bed of steamed rice.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1Lb Turkey smoked sausage, 2 Med sweet potato, 2 zucchinni, 2 yellow squash, onion, 2 Roma tomatoes, S&P, sprinkle of Italian cheese over the top. You can also use good smoked sausage or diced ham, also Italian seasoning is good. Be sure to drain the water after the first bake.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chickens like it, too.
That's what I'm told. The only thing the garden plot at my folks' place ever grew really well was squash and zucchini--and I mean those things grew like weeds. I can't stand the stuff as it comes off the plant, but once it's converted into eggs, chicken, and pork, it's delicious. The vast majority of what came out of their garden came back as eggs.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, if I was closer, or planning to be in the area, I would come grab some. There isn’t many things that I love more than squash out of the garden.

Funny how things just do really well in the garden. Last year I planted French breakfast radishes. Just one little bag from the store of seeds. I picked 2-3lbs of those guys every day for 3 weeks. Sometimes twice a day. Text my neighbor, asked if she liked radishes, when she said yes, I showed up with a paper grocery sack full of them, haha.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rest of the garden is pretty much a disaster. Due to lots of reasons we got so behind with keeping up with it, clearing weeds, etc, that we'll never be able to catch up now.

We did get about 10 lbs of really tasty potatoes. And watermelon and cantaloupe are finally starting to show up...can't wait for those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom