Anyone remember Mashburn Arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think my brother took me in there once around 1979-80 when I was 11 or 12.

I remember stuff being everywhere and the guys were dicks, but it was cool as hell as a young kid.

Mashburn was THE regional gunstore in the 30s -50s. Would love to go back in time to visit.

Building still exists.

View attachment 463553
If they were all dicks it woulda been called DONG'S....no pun intended...

John Sherman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I think my brother took me in there once around 1979-80 when I was 11 or 12.

I remember stuff being everywhere and the guys were dicks, but it was cool as hell as a young kid.

Mashburn was THE regional gunstore in the 30s -50s. Would love to go back in time to visit.

Building still exists.

View attachment 463553
And there was Southwest Shooters down the road on Reno and Virginia. The gunsmith was a kinda red haired fella. Nice guy if I recall.

John Sherman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a LSA varmint in 22-250 with a Leupold 12 power scope and it was scary accurate! Got stupid one time and sold it, then replaced it with the exact same rig a few years ago.I could hit walnuts all day long at 250 yards. The LSA was imported by Ithaca and made by Sako.

John Sherman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a LSA varmint in 22-250 with a Leupold 12 power scope and it was scary accurate! Got stupid one time and sold it, then replaced it with the exact same rig a few years ago.I could hit walnuts all day long at 250 yards. The LSA was imported by Ithaca and made by Sako.
Mr. Mashburn shot bench rest with my fly fishing mentor, Thom Green, who was a geological engineer for Wilcox petroleum. I don't know Thom shot but I can tell you he was the best fly caster I have ever seen in real life. I bought a Remington a 700 ADL in 7mm mag
and it shot patterns instead of groups! Thom set me up with a friend of his that was also a bench rest shooter to help me with that rifle. Charlie Newman was his name and he had articles in almost every issue of NRA's magazine. He showed me how to glass bed a rifle, he worked over the trigger and had me lap the bore with a knurled brass lap with a mixture of rig grease and diamond dust. He said to push the lap down the bore until it "felt like sticking an ice pick into a piece of hard cheese." That rifle went from shooting 2 1/2" patterns to shooting one hole 5 shot groups.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad knew Art Mashburn. Mr.Mashburn built two 300 Mashburn rifles for my dad...I'm guessing late 1950's or sometime in the early 1960's.

My dad and grandad both commented that Mashburn rifles were as equal or better as Roy Weatherby...Weatherby rifles.

The ONLY difference was Weatherby rifles were in Southern California and when you have big money guys (movie stars and such) Weatherby rifles became famous.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad knew Art Mashburn. Mr.Mashburn built two 300 Mashburn rifles for my dad...I'm guessing late 1950's or sometime in the early 1960's.

My dad and grandad both commented that Mashburn rifles were as equal or better as Roy Weatherby...Weatherby rifles.

The ONLY difference was Weatherby rifles were in Southern California and when you have big money guys (movie stars and such) Weatherby rifles became famous.
Do you still have them?

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I do. In like new condition, one shot maybe....7 or 8 rounds. It's twin....maybe 50 rounds. I have taken a couple of mule deer and one elk, all in the Dolores- Telluride -Dorango, Co. area....I have a bunch of family and old(family names from) Lincoln County,Oklahoma family friends in the area.

I oil them twice a year. They are at my cousin's house since I am retired , travel 90% of the year and sold all my guns except a few pistols that travel with me & my wife.

The one I sold ...a true Holland and Holland rifle...with some famous provenance...I, well, when I think about it...almost regret it. It was a Holland and Holland rifle chambered in 300 h&h. Fantastic rifle. It was only shot seven times and twice was from me.

*** As the story goes; as a kid my dad told me ...Something about 300 Weatherby or 300 h&h...shoot one of these rounds and it fire forms the Mashburn round.*** Or something like that.

Never looked into it, nor never reloaded...I always either purchased factory or as 300 Mashburn, I had them reloaded to spec.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This pic is supposedly Mashburn in June 1954

R (3).jpeg

Gibs those old .22s!!! 🥰

Address is listed as 1220 N. Blackwelder

https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1123241/

OK4ster

Marksman
Reaction score
Did most of my shopping at Southwest Shooters for reloading supplies. But my dad's uncle worked at Mashburns for many years. His name was Haydon Bryce. Not positive but I think he was a part owner. Bought a new in the box Smith & Wesson Dirty Harry special from him back in the late 70s or early 80s for 500 bucks. Lord, I wish I could find one for that price now.
I bought quite a bit of reloading equipment from Mashburn's. They had a box in a corner of the store that had used reloading reloading stuff in it. I got my Lyman case trimmer, a RCBS primer tool, lots of trimmer pilots, a powder trickler and a Lyman Sizer/Lubricator out of that box. Several of the pieces had a sticker with the initials H.C. I always thought that was Hayden. Does anyone know if his initials were H.C.B.? If I remember right he had a full head of white hair and was blind in one eye. Am I right or just wrong? I also have acquired a pre-64 Model 70 Win. .270 that Mr. Mashburn rechambered to .270 Mashburn. I have never seen in anything I have read where there was such an animal as a .270 Mashburn Improved. I had Hornady make me a set of custom dies for it. Can anyone here confirm if Art regularly had a .270 Mashburn Improved in his group of cartridges? There was a cartridge board in the shop that displayed chamberings but I only remember the 7mm Mashburn Improved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom