Anyone seeing some nice velvet for this fall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought I would get on here and ask. Wondering if anyone is starting to see some bucks they would like to take this fall. We are down to about 80 days til season. So we can start talking about deer hunting. lol

post up some pics from your trail camera if ya have your eyes on one yet.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well ya better get them out there. I guess I am just way too excited about this season. I have had cameras running since March. I am curious and want to see what everyone is looking to have on their plate this hunting season. Gotta look forward to something since the Wildlife department never draws me one of those coveted Elk tags.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have a couple on our PV property that have our interest. right now we have three groups visiting the feeders, two groups that have 3-4 does and and a single buck, one group with two bucks and at least 4 does that we can pick out. probably more, but their markings are too close to call.

Lots of velvet! they're loving the salt/trace mineral licks we have out and the corn/cube mix in the feeders. starting to think about feed plots. wha are you planting this year if anything? so far we have two definite clover/pea plots but are unsure what to put in the third plot, we want a variety. we put all our eggs in one basket by planting only clover last year and only saw 1 3 year-old, so we took him. let a couple of yearlings walk. we plan on taking at least one doe this year for the first time.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I planted my first plot this spring and put out red Ripper Cowpeas. Just now seeing them in the last 3 weeks getting into it and tearing it up now. I am gonna plant a variety of stuff early September. Gonna have a winter pea, wheat, clover mix I think. Since we ain't getting much photo action I will post a few up.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where in the world are these cameras? temps in the low 40's and one below freezing? something doesn't seem right.

I'm not calling you out or anything, but I think you have a messed up camera. two of your photos are within 30 seconds of each, but the temperatures are 10 degrees different

Good looking bucks though!

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah that camera is messed up. Bought them earlier this fall from Natchez. Refurbs that were on sale for $50 each. one works flawless and the other reads wrong temps. I tried pulling batteries and letting it sit overnight then re-starting it. All well they were cheaper than new and still give me a correct time and date stamp.

and location is top secret. lol. no seriously my dad and I bought 200 acres just south of Peggs off of hwy 82. its landlocked and we have an easement to access it. So not much pressure on them.

I should probably change that camera though with one that reads correct. It seems to be getting the most action.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing my evening chores tonight and saw a nice buck, maybe an 8 point, browsing thru the pea patch. He had a speckled butt with him. Time to put out a little corn and a camera. I have been seeing several deer on this particular path.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly hadn't been thinking much about deer season yet until the other night I was out at the ranch. Does, yearlings and fawns in every meadow, same ol same ol. Went through a cattle guard and the noise made this one "doe" throw her head back, out of the tall grass. Looked like he had a freakin rockin chair on his head. That got me a little more into looking forward to Oct 1st.

Latest posts

Top Bottom