anyone shoot 7mm-08?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebowhunter

New to the site!
Reaction score
About the only advantage would be higher B.C.'s and S.D's. Other than that its more or less the same as the .308. All the children of the .308 are good ones. Short action, .473 bolt face, easy to load for and good factory ammo choices.

I have and load for both cartridges, but I'm yet to see any real world difference in the field.

Joseph

pdcrig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Remington Mtn Rifle in 7mm-08 and love it. The rifle is light and accurate enough and the round is very easy to load for. Recoil is light as long as your rifle isn't a featherweight. As mentioned in another post, I can't think of a better caliber for deer hunting in the Midwest. It hits more than hard enough and shoots pretty flat. If you handload, the variety of 7mm bullets out there is great and there are all kinds of suitable powders. If you buy factory ammo buy online as the stuff at Wally World isn't always the best. You won't be dissapointed by the 7mm-08.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a great round for deer. Recoil is light (T/C Encore rifle). I've never had any trouble putting deer down with one shot. In fact, I've stopped using my trusty .308 since I started using the 7mm-08. Ammo, though, might be a bit harder to find compared to the more mainstream like .308, .270, or 30-06.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'ts a great round with great ballistics but I don't reload, so the .308 makes much more sense to me since you can buy ammo for 15-16 bucks/box at any Walmart. The possibility to get some cheap mil/surp ammo to practice with is always there, and high price ammunition=much less shooting.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son shoots a model 7 youth in 7-08 with a leupold 3-9 compact scope, I envy it, nice carryin & shootin gun, got it for his 10th BD he will be 13 next month. Hasn't missed a deer with it yet, except this year at salt plains, got his doe an hour after we were there & just nicked his buck but it was 250+ yrds I was sicker than he was but that is another story. I shoot a 308 BLR with light mag hornady's

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always had questions about this round also. I always thought that someone who reloads would be better suited with a 7x57 Mauser, though the 7mm-08 is ~6mm shorter. Maybe that's enough to make the 7x57 too long for a short action receiver.

Has anyone shot both and can compare and contrast the two?

Jpt

Latest posts

Top Bottom