Anyone taking young hunters out next weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm taking 2 daughters and a niece. Spent the day scouting to make sure I could put them on some deer next weekend. This will be their first time to participate. My oldest daughter, my niece and my cousin's 2 sons all completed hunter's safety a couple of weeks ago and are exited about the season.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
trying to get my kid brother to go, but he doesn't seem into it much. He's 12, passed hunter safety last year, but still doesn't want to shoot anything bigger than a .22. No shotgun, no .243. He plays football, and a pretty tough kid. He was with me last year when I took a buck, I don't know what else to try. Kids are weird now. Any advise?

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
trying to get my kid brother to go, but he doesn't seem into it much. He's 12, passed hunter safety last year, but still doesn't want to shoot anything bigger than a .22. No shotgun, no .243. He plays football, and a pretty tough kid. He was with me last year when I took a buck, I don't know what else to try. Kids are weird now. Any advise?

My oldest daughter was like that until my niece and second oldest got into it. Maybe start with small game. Not a lot of folks shoot squirrel and rabbits anymore and it's a lot of fun.

infotechsailor

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

i remember when my uncles snuck a slug and had me shoot a 12gauge my first time shooting.

it was pretty risky hazing on their part, but it worked out :naughty:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy that I hunt on brings clients in with their kids that have never taken a deer before. I take them out to my spot and set them up to take a doe. Its usually one or two kids in the group and their dad. I get great pleasure out of seeing how excited these kids get when their first deer takes a dirt nap.:D

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Stick with it, be patient, and remember when you take him out, its all about him. Make it fun, relax, cut up, and have a good time. Most of all be safe.

As someone else has said, there are plenty of squirrels and rabbits. Just keep him in the outdoors and in the shooting sports, even if it is with a 22.

Keep up the good work. Stick with it, have fun, be patient, and be safe.

Big pat on the back to you for getting him out there.

Sooner_Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be up near Freedom, Oklahoma with my 2 boys 11 and 12. This will be there first deer hunt so as of now they are both excited. My dad will be sitting with one of my boys and I will be with the other. We went scouting yesterday and saw lots of doe's and one young 6 pt buck. Got the boys (and myself) excited and looking forward to the trip.

I used to spend a lot of times in the woods but as my kids were younger and their activities took a lot of their time I haven't been out much. I am really excited about getting them out and just being out there myself. I hope they have a great time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom