Anyone work midnights or long shifts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always worked day shift , but was on call 24/7.
Spent 10 hours on the job and get called in at 2am to fix something, drive home, take shower and head back to be on the job at 7am. That went on for most of my career.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked 3:30 to midnight for many years and took the pager on weekends and many times I would work a double or triple.

Feed me.
That is all i would tell them. Keep my energy up and I can go on for a long time.

I could always fall asleep at anytime I want to.
Trained my body before my teen years to shut down.

You must blank your mind, think of absolute nothing.

I would be up at 6-7AM after getting off work at midnight and have the entire day to work on my toys or go fishing etc.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked 11-7 almost my whole career in the Air Force. Grew to like it due to the relaxed military environment. Still haven’t really fully recovered after almost 50 years. Sometimes I would stop and buy a six pack on the way home after work. Got some funny looks buying beer at 7ish, in uniform no less.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work 3pm to Midnight. I'd get home around 1:30am or 2:00am after stopping for a quick easy breakfast the all-night diner. Sometimes I'd stop and fish for an hour or two before I got home.

I'd get to bed around 4AM and set my alarm for 12:30PM and get ready to go to work again.

Dickhead family and friends would call me late morning or around Noon-ish and say Hey are you going to sleep all day? No, dickhead, this is my night.

I fixed that bullpuckey by calling them back at 3AM, wake them up and ask HEY are you going to sleep all night?

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't worked swing or midnights since the 70's, and I will never miss them. I have had some days that started early and finished late, but it was selling stuff- not like I was swinging a hammer. I'm a Realtor now and while I don't work that hard, it's sure a pain to have something that gets me home where I have to eat late and then reflux cause of it. My best work happens about 6 am and pretty much has for 40 years.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked night shift about 1/2 my old management job, about 7 years on and off. I was never good at it. After about 4 months I always became a jerk and was always angry for the rest of my duration until I was back on days. My wife has always worked nights as a nurse and she loves it for the same reasons as Glock em’ Down mentioned, but I will say I don’t think she is quite as “pleasant” a person as she was when we first married, nights are hard on a person

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prefer 2nd shift fit my life style
Was a supervisor and people were bitching about shift so I said can please them all you all will rotate shifts 1,2 and 3rd no one had a leg to stand on after that

Personally not a day person but have worked it for the last 10 years seems I’m more tired now

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked 11-7 almost my whole career in the Air Force. Grew to like it due to the relaxed military environment. Still haven’t really fully recovered after almost 50 years. Sometimes I would stop and buy a six pack on the way home after work. Got some funny looks buying beer at 7ish, in uniform no less.

Yeah, I get that same look whenever I sometimes stop in to Sonic and order a cheeseburger at 7:30am. That's the only place around here (close to home) that I've found that allows something besides breakfast in the morning. After working all night, I'd rather have a burger and fries than a sausage biscuit.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked night shift about 1/2 my old management job, about 7 years on and off. I was never good at it. After about 4 months I always became a jerk and was always angry for the rest of my duration until I was back on days. My wife has always worked nights as a nurse and she loves it for the same reasons as Glock em’ Down mentioned, but I will say I don’t think she is quite as “pleasant” a person as she was when we first married, nights are hard on a person

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone and it WILL change you, both physically and mentally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom