Anywhere to stretch a rifle out in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are we not allowed to do something unless the "rules" allow it? Interesting comment.

The ** nice police officer**, or in this case, GW will write you a ticket for target shooting on WMA not designated as a range.
I had one threaten to sieze my guns a few years ago while I was shooting with my 13 year old son. Only bad GW attitude I've ever seen, BTW.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Are we not allowed to do something unless the "rules" allow it? Interesting comment.
As far as Public Hunting Area s and Wildlife Management areas go in Oklahoma, yes, the ODWC tell us what is permitted.

I know Canton has or used to have an actual range with benches.......but you couldn't use it unless you had a hunting license. Seems like there were a couple other PHA's with ranges as well. IIRC, the purpose of the range was give hunters a place to sight in, without lobbing rounds across the country side, whether it's against the "rules" I'm not sure.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a section state, which means that we have implemented a section, township, and range makeup of our state. Some states do it, others do not, but what it means is for all practical purposes land is divided up in square miles with county rounds / easements going along them. This is why all the county roads you guys see seem to be laid out like a grid...because it is one. So this means that usually you only have 1,760 yards to shoot in any one direction, but then you have to take into account doing that safely, meaning having a backstop, not shooting into traffic, etc. etc. This cuts down on that 1,760 even more. Then, if the property is broken up along the 1/4 section lines, you can cut that amount down even more.

You can get large areas of line together (more than a square mile), but you have to have those easements abandoned and the roads, if there are any, closed, and that takes time and money.

Additionally, even if you get a place to shoot past 1000 yards, the topography of the land and the vegetation start to become a problem.

All in all, I guess I am saying that it is tougher to find that long to shoot than I and others would have thought it was. I tried it on my boss's land, and we had a hell of a time finding 500 yards to shoot, let alone a 1,000+.

I wish you the best in your search.

Jestik

Diagonally across corner to corner will get more yardage if the line of sight and backstop allows it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a section state, which means that we have implemented a section, township, and range makeup of our state. Some states do it, others do not, but what it means is for all practical purposes land is divided up in square miles with county rounds / easements going along them. This is why all the county roads you guys see seem to be laid out like a grid...because it is one. So this means that usually you only have 1,760 yards to shoot in any one direction, but then you have to take into account doing that safely, meaning having a backstop, not shooting into traffic, etc. etc. This cuts down on that 1,760 even more. Then, if the property is broken up along the 1/4 section lines, you can cut that amount down even more.

You can get large areas of line together (more than a square mile), but you have to have those easements abandoned and the roads, if there are any, closed, and that takes time and money.

Additionally, even if you get a place to shoot past 1000 yards, the topography of the land and the vegetation start to become a problem.

All in all, I guess I am saying that it is tougher to find that long to shoot than I and others would have thought it was. I tried it on my boss's land, and we had a hell of a time finding 500 yards to shoot, let alone a 1,000+.

I wish you the best in your search.

Jestik

You've been living in "Land Run Country" too long brother.............the eastern side of the state doesn't have a road every mile. Growing up in Bartlesville, I knew about the Land Runs, but didn't know there was a county road every mile until I moved over here.:)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Not disputing the sections, that's correct, just the roads at every mile. When I first moved up here, I had a guy give me directions to a property, he told me to "go 7 miles west of a certain highway intersection, but there's not a road at mile six, so if I'm counting roads, don't let that fool you". I told him, "why would I ever count the roads, it doesn't mean anything to me just because there's a road"................not yet realizing, there's supposed to be a road every mile here, lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the roads in the NW have been closed, and abandoned by the county's as the bridges are unsafe or have been destroyed in floods. Its rare, but not unhead of to have two sections with only one road around them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom