AR 10 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a DPMS brand AR-10 in use at a couple 3-Gun matches, and it performed perfectly, but I have no idea what kind of long-term reliability to expect. The guy shooting it is someone I respect for having good taste in guns, but I would take Wormy's suggestion to heart, he knows a lot about these things and is an incredible shooter.

No no no.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding is is this... if you want it to say ar-10 then get a armalite. If you want a good 308 AR rifle get a dpms. Best shooting gun for the money. I bought a used one from the classifieds. One hole groups...repeatedly. if in doubt look what Jerry miculeck can do with one out of the box. I have shot multiple one hole groups...

i1067.photobucket.com_albums_u433_djcorrell_IMAG0239.jpg

I think if you want to hit targets get a dpms...if you want to impress people get something else.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the RRA lar8 with the 2 stage trigger, I like the ambi set up, it is very nice. It uses the FN/FAL L1A1 mags, which contrary to believe, are no longer as plentiful and therefore cheap as they once were. It is a very good shooter with one hole 3 and 5 round targets at 100yds. When I got it, it could be found for around $1100 new in box for a very reliable rifle, currently it would take about $1500 to own one nib. My son took his first deer with it so makes it more precious to me than ever.

That said, I have had Armalites in the past which were good rifles, very accurate, very good reliability. Cost run about $1400 and up based on the style you want. I currently do not own one, mainly due to the cost and using M1A mags which.

I started my love affiar for DPMS with the LR-308 in 24" stainless fluted bull barrel. My wife completely erased a 1" bullseye with it at 100yards with one 19 round mag. That rifle was $1050nib when I got it. My latest DPMS purchase is the Mark12, and it has all the fit an finish of the high ends I have. Purchased for $1500, it is about half the high end stuff. The slick sided, no deflector, no dustcover is for the person that wants no frills but still have a 308 that is functional, reliable for well under a grand. What I like about DPMS is that they use PMags (which I hear all of them are starting to make lowers to take them)

I have never had any breakage, relibility, performance issues on any of the different AR style 308s that Ihave owned and operated. Just this weekend I saw the new CMMG AR style 308 and I am starting to get an itch for it. It was the lightest of all of the AR 308 style rifles and I really liked the styling onthe lower, very good fit and finish. All for a little over $1100.

I guess I have not found an AR style 308 that does not fit what you are looking for, now just determine what your price point is and get sum.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's the 'best' for the money. Probably the 'most' for your money. But even that is debatable. 'Best' for the money would be LaRue OBR in my opinion. It is more expensive but you get a no-******** legit accurate reliable AR style .308 with a warranty matched by noone.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say take a look at the CMMG DPMS style rifles. They are nice looking for sure. Free floated tube, billet upper and lower, around $1,400-$1,500 I think.

I'm building one from a stripped lower. Think it should shoot fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom