AR 15 Reload problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the chairman

New to the site!
Reaction score
I picked up some used 223 brass. I cleaned resized and trimmed it using RCBS regular dies. The die was set where the base of the die touched the shell holder. The head space is still to much. Do I need a small base die to size the brass?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The die just touching the shell holder is not enough, screw it in another 1/8 turn so the ram has to cam over a little, that should push the shoulder back a very small amount to shorten head space. Size a couple of cases and check for full bolt closing, if good then a small base die in not needed.
Also check loaded over all length, if too long then the bullet could be touching the lands not allowing the bolt to fully close.

If the above fixes your problem and after you have fire formed the brass for your gun get an RCBS X size die and never have to trim 223 cases again.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked because there have been lots of complaints about Lyman's 223 gauge. Read the reviews on Midway. There are many people complaining about your same issue. It might be the gauge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom