Ar-15 Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know where suppliers like model1, M&A, etc. get their parts? I've been doing the math, and they are getting barrels, uppers, parts kits, etc a WHOLE LOT cheaper that Joe Blow can buy one or two from a retailer. Kinda curious since I am going to be applying for an FFL in the near future. Might be a good niche to look into.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have to have a manufacturer's lic. if you are buying parts and assembling, or just if you are actually making parts? ie.. building receivers for AK's or HK's. I was of the opinion that in the case of an AR, you were buying the serial numbered receivers from a munufacturer and just transferring them on a 4474 same as a firearm sale.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have to have a manufacturer's lic. if you are buying parts and assembling, or just if you are actually making parts? ie.. building receivers for AK's or HK's. I was of the opinion that in the case of an AR, you were buying the serial numbered receivers from a munufacturer and just transferring them on a 4474 same as a firearm sale.

Olyeller is correct, you would need a manufacturing FFL to do what you want since you state that you want to buy the receivers, assemble them and sell them as complete fireams as a regular course of business. Stripped receivers are a serial numbered component, but since they are not complete fireams, their original manufacturers have not paid the 11% federal excise tax on them. If you assemble them and sell them as complete firearms you need to pay the excise tax on them and you need a manufacturer's FFL in order to do this.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/071907firearms_manufacturing_scenarios.pdf

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Olyeller is correct, you would need a manufacturing FFL to do what you want since you state that you want to buy the receivers, assemble them and sell them as complete fireams as a regular course of business. Stripped receivers are a serial numbered component, but since they are not complete fireams, their original manufacturers have not paid the 11% federal excise tax on them. If you assemble them and sell them as complete firearms you need to pay the excise tax on them and you need a manufacturer's FFL in order to do this.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/071907firearms_manufacturing_scenarios.pdf

A++++, CAR-AR-M16 has the low-down on this one. Nice to see it hit the forum for 'educational purposes'. Your average person is unaware of the excise tax as it is paid by the manufacturer. As for buying quantities for the price, they would have to be huge quantities.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

There are three boxes indentifing the 'type of firearm' on the current 4473, handgun, long gun, other. The stripped receiver falls under the 'other' as it is not a complete firearm, as does a bolt action receiver or a 1911 frame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom