AR or AK ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind/brand of AR did you shoot? You said you couldn't hit anything with it and mine is a tack driver. I ask, because the SGL series are one of the best AK's. if you're comparing it to a lower end dpms or Ontario AR, then it would be a very fair comparison. All things aside, I've never seen an AK outshoot an AR when it comes to accuracy.

FWIW I shot an arsenal SGL-20

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yugo M67 is pretty brutal. The 8M3 124g HP loaded in the Wolf Military Classic line is highly regarded too!

http://www.gunslot.com/forum/russian-rifle-caliber-wounding-effects

My point was that the "larger round doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal performance..." That doesn't mean there are no good loads for 7.62x39, just that bigger is not always better.

8M3 is deadly, but just because it is a 124grn bullet, don't think that it is conclusive that it is an '8M3' bullet. True 8M3 loadings have been rare over the last few years.

The neck length on .308 M80 can run as high as 8", completely penetrating a human before beginning to yaw and tumble creating a 30 caliber through and through hole. Change that bullet to a 155 AMAX and the results are devastating. Given the choice, I would rather have M193 than M80, even though the 308 round is significantly larger and more powerful.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I think it would depend on the job. That 308 round would fly better at long range because the wind would have less effect on it. And it would have more energy. That's why the military pulled out all the M14's out of retirement. Wind was playing hell on their 55gr bullets at longer ranges.

My point was that the "larger round doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal performance..." That doesn't mean there are no good loads for 7.62x39, just that bigger is not always better.

8M3 is deadly, but just because it is a 124grn bullet, don't think that it is conclusive that it is an '8M3' bullet. True 8M3 loadings have been rare over the last few years.

The neck length on .308 M80 can run as high as 8", completely penetrating a human before beginning to yaw and tumble creating a 30 caliber through and through hole. Change that bullet to a 155 AMAX and the results are devastating. Given the choice, I would rather have M193 than M80, even though the 308 round is significantly larger and more powerful.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I think it would depend on the job. That 308 round would fly better at long range because the wind would have less effect on it. And it would have more energy. That's why the military pulled out all the M14's out of retirement. Wind was playing hell on their 55gr bullets at longer ranges.

With distance, we are no longer talking about terminal ballistics, but external ballistics; a different topic entirely. I was responding specifically to terminal performance. My main point is bigger doesn't mean better. In fact, the proper caliber argument runs parallel to the AR vs AK argument. There is no one right answer for every situation! I just don't want people to falsely believe that because bullet A is larger, it makes it better than bullet B.

darth_ted_82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With prices like they are right now, Arsenal rifles are the way to go. Why pay 800 bucks for a WASR (romanian) when you can get the best of the best for a couple-hundred bucks more. My Arsenal SGL-21 is a 2MOA gun with Yugo mil-surp ammo.

I was lucky enough to pick mine up a few years back for about $800. Times have changed...

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you. And you are correct on bigger not necessarily being better.

With distance, we are no longer talking about terminal ballistics, but external ballistics; a different topic entirely. I was responding specifically to terminal performance. My main point is bigger doesn't mean better. In fact, the proper caliber argument runs parallel to the AR vs AK argument. There is no one right answer for every situation! I just don't want people to falsely believe that because bullet A is larger, it makes it better than bullet B.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind/brand of AR did you shoot? You said you couldn't hit anything with it and mine is a tack driver. I ask, because the SGL series are one of the best AK's. if you're comparing it to a lower end dpms or Ontario AR, then it would be a very fair comparison. All things aside, I've never seen an AK outshoot an AR when it comes to accuracy.

It was a DPMS, shooting Federal 223 through it. Maybe I was just not used to the scope. I tried the iron sights but couldn't tell a difference. At 25 -50 yards, it should be accurate enough. Don't get me wrong, I was still hitting the target. Just not with the same consistency and ease. I personally struggled with The AR. Problem is the rifle just never felt "right" to me. The AK felt immediately familiar like slipping on an old glove, confidence inspiring. Ballistics and other blah aside, it just worked better in my hands. :)

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The AK felt immediately familiar like slipping on an old glove, confidence inspiring. Ballistics and other blah aside, it just worked better in my hands. :)
That is all that matters.
It is just like the old Glock vs 1911. The one that works best for you is the one that is best for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom