AR pin oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after shooting the other day, I noticed I put a little too much oil in my lower receiver and oil spilled out from the hammer/trigger pins and the selector lever.

I wiped the excess oil away, and a day later, more oil came out symmetrically around the pins. Repeat 3 times and there's still oil there.

What is going on? I heard some lubricants will seem into the pores of the metal and slowly release over time... is that what's happening? I don't understand another way that oil is coming out from both sides symmetrically when the weapon is pointing up with the stock on the floor.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like you said, you used too much oil....depending on how you are storing it, it can also being seeping down from the upper. No worries, just keep wiping it down and back off on the lube.

I use very little, if any, lube in the lower. just enough to protect the steel parts.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
were u using clp? man that stuff is very runny. just keep wiping it. better lubed than not at all i guess. or u could always just go ahead and add a dipstick to your lower. check it monthly and add a quart of 10w30 when needed. j/k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom