AR Rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Quick question, if I want to mount a scope to an AR, what is the *proper* height? IE, if I'm buying rings, what height should I get? Med, High, Ultra High. I still have the FSB / Sight on the rifle.

Also, I have a lower end (DelTon) 16" upper, what kind of groups can I expect? I'm curious to shoot it and see what it will do, just for kicks.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's kinda tough to get the eye relief right on a scoped AR...that's why you see things like the LaRue SPR. Armalite makes a pretty nice one-piece riser/rings too.

As far as proper height....uh...I dunno.

What kind of rear sight do you have on it? That's probably gonna have to go away.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Flip up. It's off right now. I have a set of rings off my 10/22 on it right now with the 6-18x44 Swift from my 700. Everything cleared, and I shot 20 rounds with it. Best group I could get with it though was 1.5" @ 50yds.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need the ulta-high rings unless you have some kind of risers. There are many variables concerning accuracy. A lot will depend on what ammo you're shooting. Also, a non-chrome lined barrel will normally group better than a lined one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Armalite makes a pretty nice one-piece riser/rings too.

The Armalite works really well. IMHO its the correct height. I use one on my .243WSSM AR
That being said, I bought a Rem R-15. I wanted the matching camo scope and rings. I found them at a gunshop. They told me that even though they were medium height rings, I would need the additional "riser" to get them to proper height. They were correct. This works for my "sight picture requirements". They may work for you or not.

Deacon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 204

Latest posts

Top Bottom