Ar trigger polishing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My issue with that is I have done the junkyard set screw job and my hammer was polished (not by me), and my trigger has no creep, 3-4lbs, with a clean break. Could it be better probably, but will the better trigger be worth an additional $230?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My issue with that is I have done the junkyard set screw job and my hammer was polished (not by me), and my trigger has no creep, 3-4lbs, with a clean break. Could it be better probably, but will the better trigger be worth an additional $230?

Why are you wanting to do an additional polish if its already been done?

Its just my opinion, but 3-4lbs is just about right for most competition triggers that will be used in run and gun, three gun and other competitions like that.
Also good for most range and hunting where some movement will be involved.
If your going for bench rest paper punching or long range target, you would want a serious aftermarket trigger that would dial down to a pound or less. Some of those bench rest triggers can be so light, they get down into ounces.

If your intent on doing more polishing, look into barber supplies online. I have a stone used for straight razors that makes that smith in your link look like rough concrete.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are you wanting to do an additional polish if its already been done?

Its just my opinion, but 3-4lbs is just about right for most competition triggers that will be used in run and gun, three gun and other competitions like that.
Also good for most range and hunting where some movement will be involved.
If your going for bench rest paper punching or long range target, you would want a serious aftermarket trigger that would dial down to a pound or less. Some of those bench rest triggers can be so light, they get down into ounces.

Most of my shooting is just plinking so 1lbs trigger seems too light, although I have been wanting to try a run a gun and or a three gun contest. As for the polish this one is for a new gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1lb is way too light for what your describing. If you have never pulled a smooth 1lb trigger, you will understand why that's not advisable for anything other than a gun used off a bench.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a pistol with a 1-2lbs and that just felt unsafe, the pistol was pointed down range but it almost felt as once you put your finger in the trigger guard and touched it, it would go off. That being said I am super happy with my trigger and I have done the same jp springs and set screw as my rifle to my father inlaws rifle for him, and mine feels a world better since it does have a polish to it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything under 3# on an AR is reducing the usability of the platform. JMO of course.

For me, a "fluff & buff" on the engagement surfaces, speed cut on the hammer and JP Rifles spring kit works wonders for a stock FCC, but it doesn't hold a candle to a Geissele unit. I don't use stones, just some Flitz on a felt bob when doing one. It's too easy to cut through the surface hardening, which is very thin.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geissele (and others) have talked at length about the problems of using lightened springs in the AR platform. Interesting to dig into the mechanics.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the JP triggers in all of my AR's, that have to be "fit and tuned" set to 3lb.(JP because I like to play with triggers) My deer bolt guns with timmny triggers are set to 3lbs, and my competition pistols are set to 3 lbs . No matter what platform I'm using, the trigger pull is consistant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom