How sharp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how sharp do you guys get your pocket/hunting knives? Do you keep your 3 blade Case that rides in your pocket “sharp enough” and your skinning knife razor sharp? Or how do you guys go about things? How do you determine how sharp your knife is? I know how sharp I like my kitchen knives, but for my other pointy objects, the concept escapes me for some reason.

I’ve never been a huge knife guy. I’ve carried a lot, carried all of them, and have used them for everything, but I’m no knife snob, collector, nor do I know an awful lot about them. I’ve typically had a hard time when it comes to sharpening knives. I don’t know if my standards are too high or if I just know enough about the process to royally screw it up 90% of the time. I’ve been going through my knives, cleaning, oiling, and sharpening them. But it doesn’t seem like my efforts in sharpening are “cutting it”. I’m hitting the knives on a 1000 grit stone, maybe 10-20 passes each side. Then followed by roughly the same number of passes on a 6000 grit stone, and then stropping them on leather with green polishing compound. In my mind they should be razor sharp, shaving hairs off my arm and such. But they aren’t. Pointers? How sharp do you look for? Any suggestions on a professional sharpener in OKC that’s decent with pocket/hunting knives? I also am looking to get my wustoff kitchen knives sharpened sometime before the end of the year, they’re going on year 6 or 7 with the factory edge and could use a professional touch up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how sharp do you guys get your pocket/hunting knives? Do you keep your 3 blade Case that rides in your pocket “sharp enough” and your skinning knife razor sharp? Or how do you guys go about things? How do you determine how sharp your knife is? I know how sharp I like my kitchen knives, but for my other pointy objects, the concept escapes me for some reason.

I’ve never been a huge knife guy. I’ve carried a lot, carried all of them, and have used them for everything, but I’m no knife snob, collector, nor do I know an awful lot about them. I’ve typically had a hard time when it comes to sharpening knives. I don’t know if my standards are too high or if I just know enough about the process to royally screw it up 90% of the time. I’ve been going through my knives, cleaning, oiling, and sharpening them. But it doesn’t seem like my efforts in sharpening are “cutting it”. I’m hitting the knives on a 1000 grit stone, maybe 10-20 passes each side. Then followed by roughly the same number of passes on a 6000 grit stone, and then stropping them on leather with green polishing compound. In my mind they should be razor sharp, shaving hairs off my arm and such. But they aren’t. Pointers? How sharp do you look for? Any suggestions on a professional sharpener in OKC that’s decent with pocket/hunting knives? I also am looking to get my wustoff kitchen knives sharpened sometime before the end of the year, they’re going on year 6 or 7 with the factory edge and could use a professional touch up.
That Wustoff steel is something else. Uses some amazing steel that is incredibly hard to sharpen.
I hand sharpen on different grades of stones/diamond hones so the knives are shaving sharp.
I think the way to get the sharpest I've ever seen is with a cloth grinding wheel using cloth and rouge.
The knives have to be sharp to start with before using this technique. The wheel and rouge take sharpness to the next level.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, knife blades should be only as sharp as they need to be to do the task I want done.

Why, other than bragging rights, is it worth the time and effort to sharpen an ax or hatchet to the degree that it will shave hairs off your arm?

Remember, the sharper the edge, the more delicate it is, and thus becomes dull quicker and thus useless.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been using a Lansky sharpener for 30 years. I had a co worker in my second job out of college introduce me and show me it’s merits, and it’s worked for my needs since. As far as how sharp, I always strive for shaving, but I’m not as concerned about my EDC knife shaving as it gets used for some pretty rough tasks and dulls fast. However, I want every knife that even might be involved in cleaning a deer to be as close to razor sharp as possible.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gutting/skinning knife - razor sharp.
Filet/meat cutting knife - razor sharp

Everyday pocketknife - razor sharp until I use it, and I'll get around to sharpening it soon....

Seriously - if you do any butchering, a knife that's not scary sharp will cost you time and yield less than stellar results.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kitchen knifes are Forschner by Victorinox and sharpened on a steel made by the same.

Sharp enough to slice through tomato skin, sharp enough to cut through the plastic on a roll of breakfast sausage.
A couple passes on the steel and they will cut.
I use the same Forschner by Victorinox 6" boning to butcher my game and many times to filet my fish.
Love the same brand paring knife.

My other knifes need to be sharp enough to strip wire or slice easily through the skin of game.

Play with the correct angle to find what angle lasts best for your use.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gutting/skinning knife - razor sharp.
Filet/meat cutting knife - razor sharp

Everyday pocketknife - razor sharp until I use it, and I'll get around to sharpening it soon....

Seriously - if you do any butchering, a knife that's not scary sharp will cost you time and yield less than stellar results.
ECHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom