How sharp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think a knife can be too sharp just like a rifle can't be too accurate. A working edge will get the job done just like a 4 moa rifle will get the job done but I always want the best results I can get out of my tools.
I agree, yet there are differences in angle of grind/edge for my knives. My gutting/skinning knife gets 20 degees, while fillet knives get 15.

That steeper angle lasts longer through hide, fat, sternum. Meat cutting knives are used much gentler, so a fine edge is ok.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you starting at 1000 grit? You are starting at a polishing level grit . Even just touching up a sharp blade I would start at 600 grit. 600 grit will get you slicing paper like butter then if you go further use a strop, that will get you shaving .

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are you starting at 1000 grit? You are starting at a polishing level grit . Even just touching up a sharp blade I would start at 600 grit. 600 grit will get you slicing paper like butter then if you go further use a strop, that will get you shaving .
Cause it’s what I have available, lol. It hadn’t really occurred to me that I need lower, as I figured the knives were “sharp enough” to just touch up for a real nice edge. But I haven’t netted that result yet.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a local sharpener? Looking at two of my blades (the new ones I thought would be really fine knives) I have noticed that the cutting bevel(the part you sharpen?) is not only noticeably uneven when comparing each side, but also same side the length of the knife. It honestly looks like someone hit it with an angle grinder flapper disc and called it good.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So are you asking what kind of edge to put on various knives? Or for help on how to sharpen a knife and/or where to get it done professionally? Or all of the above?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cause it’s what I have available, lol. It hadn’t really occurred to me that I need lower, as I figured the knives were “sharp enough” to just touch up for a real nice edge. But I haven’t netted that result yet.
You don’t need lower unless you need to remove more metal. I don’t think you’re hitting the actual edge. If you go lower in grit, it may end up sharp but you will remove enough to reset your edge to your new angle. I try to remove as little as possible to achieve sharpness unless the bevel needs reset.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a local sharpener? Looking at two of my blades (the new ones I thought would be really fine knives) I have noticed that the cutting bevel(the part you sharpen?) is not only noticeably uneven when comparing each side, but also same side the length of the knife. It honestly looks like someone hit it with an angle grinder flapper disc and called it good.
I haven’t used them,because I can get my knives sharp enough for my needs on my stone at home, but Sharp Things okc sharpens knives. It’s $10 an edge and the clerk, Jesse, said they use a wicked edge sharpener. I’d say for $10 bucks it’s worth a try

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Wustoff steel is something else. Uses some amazing steel that is incredibly hard to sharpen.
I hand sharpen on different grades of stones/diamond hones so the knives are shaving sharp.
I think the way to get the sharpest I've ever seen is with a cloth grinding wheel using cloth and rouge.
The knives have to be sharp to start with before using this technique. The wheel and rouge take sharpness to the next level.
Are you talking about a flapper wheel?

Latest posts

Top Bottom