AR10 as a jack of all trades rifle????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of simplifying things a bit. I'm currently tossing around the idea of getting a AR10 chamberd in 308 Win to replace both my AR15 and 30-06 bolt rifle. I want this rifle to be a "jack of all trades" and do every thing from hunting moose, shooting varmits, punching paper at 300 yards, and self defense.

I'm wanting a rifle I can take out and hunt with as well as trust my life with it. Accuracy and reliability are key.

I've done a little research on it but not much. I'm currenty eyeing one of the DPMS LR-308B with the 18in bull barrel.

Am I crazy with the "jack of all trades idea" anyone have any feedback on the AR10 platforms?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of simplifying things a bit. I'm currently tossing around the idea of getting a AR10 chamberd in 308 Win to replace both my AR15 and 30-06 bolt rifle. I want this rifle to be a "jack of all trades" and do every thing from hunting moose, shooting varmits, punching paper at 300 yards, and self defense.

I'm wanting a rifle I can take out and hunt with as well as trust my life with it. Accuracy and reliability are key.

I've done a little research on it but not much. I'm currenty eyeing one of the DPMS LR-308B with the 18in bull barrel.

Am I crazy with the "jack of all trades idea" anyone have any feedback on the AR10 platforms?

I think it would suffice, although the AR10 is a little heavy when it comes to hunting, IMHO.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it would suffice, although the AR10 is a little heavy when it comes to hunting, IMHO.

Yeah. Its about 2lbs heavier than most semi autos and about 3lbs heavier than my current bolt rifle. While I think it would help with recoil and accuracy, it would tend to get a bit heavy if being carried up and down mountains all day.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to agree with that.

I wouldn't just be worried about interior walls, but I'd be pretty worried about exterior walls as well.

I guess I should clarify that it would be a SHTF self defense gun. The shotty and pistols are for home defense in the city.

As for interior walls, any decent SD round is going to fly right through dry wall.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Before you do.... I have a DPMS LR 308 with an 18" medium contour barrel and it weighs in at 13.2 pounds unloaded. You get tired of humping that thru the woods pretty quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom