AR10 as a jack of all trades rifle????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of simplifying things a bit. I'm currently tossing around the idea of getting a AR10 chamberd in 308 Win to replace both my AR15 and 30-06 bolt rifle. I want this rifle to be a "jack of all trades" and do every thing from hunting moose, shooting varmits, punching paper at 300 yards, and self defense.

I'm wanting a rifle I can take out and hunt with as well as trust my life with it. Accuracy and reliability are key.

I've done a little research on it but not much. I'm currenty eyeing one of the DPMS LR-308B with the 18in bull barrel.

Am I crazy with the "jack of all trades idea" anyone have any feedback on the AR10 platforms?

I prefer the M1A platform for such a gun.

Reaction score
AR10 as a jack of all trades rifle????

Yes.

Am I crazy with the "jack of all trades idea" ?

No.

anyone have any feedback on the AR10 platforms

Get the DPMS LR-308L, which is the 18" lightweight barrel version and the carbon fiber handguards. Only 8 lbs clean. Follow KISS, and you'll have your do-it-all rifle. Maybe a 1.5-6x40mm scope in good rings, ergo grip, tac-latch; sling; you're done. Only thing better is same in a .260 rem which is what I did. 6.5 grendel lightweight fighting rifle on steroids. Now if I could just make myself sell all the other ones.....

I prefer the M1A platform for such a gun.

I did too, until I compared the cost of "$300 for a mount, plus $50 for rings", versus just "$50 for rings".

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Handle an M1A before you plunk your hard earned money down and remember these points.

They are heavy, with scope/mount and all mine was like 13 lbs, a little much for a carry around all day rifle.
You will pay dearly for a quality scope mount.
If you do mount a scope it will be waaayy up there, likely you will need an adjustable cheekpiece for comfort.
The rifle will probably be a 2-2.5 MOA gun, making it better will get real expensive.

The one I had was neat, don't get me wrong, but it just sat, and for me was not useful.

Now I own a bolt 308 and several 223 AR's, I am much happier for it.

As far as hunting, if you are limiting yourself to deerish animals, you could probably get away with the other cartridges available in the AR-15 platform.

If you want an AR-10 though, don't make excuses about need, if you like it then buy it.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After going thru basic training with an M14 when I started AIT and they gave me an M16 I thought this would be really great if they made it in 308.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not enough gun for moose. Barnes bullets might get a .308 to the marginal level, but I wouldn't.

Not sure about the AR-10, but the Garand doesn't like hot loads. It likes the ammo it was designed to shoot. I wonder if the AR-10 really likes hot .308 loads. Just a thought.

My experience with do-all stuff is that it usually doesn't do anything really well. For the cost involved you can buy two or three pretty nice bolt guns or a couple of .223 shooters, or three or four 7.62x39 rigs. CB

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
'tis a good idea, one gun for everything but I foresee problems, some of which have been mentioned.
One. Weight has already been mentioned
Two. An 18 inch barreled 308 for moose?? Seems pretty light to me, but I'm not an expert moose blaster.
Three. Cost-of magazines, of plinking ammo
Four. 308 is way over gunned for most things a 223 is used for

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience with do-all stuff is that it usually doesn't do anything really well.

Although I like shooting many different calibers, I like smooth logistics better. I also determined what CB has. If I were to start from scratch without any heirloom shooters that I'm trying to work the logistics in with, I'd probably end up with both a .308 ARish gun and a traditional-looking bolt action .308 for hunting.

Unless you're a collector, I'd consider what I use my guns for and which guns I use. Trim the fat and make actionable decisions from that information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom