AR10 as a jack of all trades rifle????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THanks for all the feedback guys. Not sure what I want to do at this point, but you've given me alot to think about.

I don't plink much with the AR. Maybe a mag every once in a while.

I like the idea of the LR308L it looks to be about the same weight as most semi auto rifles.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I look at some of my guns and think "why do I have this" I would rather have a few quality weapons that I know intimately than alot of average weapons that I pay little attention to.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bigcountryok, I had an elightnment many years ago, I would go out to the p-dog fields with a couple of rifles from 17 Rem ut to the 308 and while it was great for cool downs I got to thepoint I had migrated to 2 rifles that were my so called "go to" rifles so I sold the other 3 and bought good glass for the 2 I liked and a mess of reloading equipment and while I can't say I have 6 rifles to take out to the p-dog fields I don't regret the decision at all! I have become a much better shot and know the rifles MUCH better than I did.

I have come to the point of building good rifles, I may not have many but the ones I do have are very nice rifles and I know tey will shoot and I know where they will hit on any given day, my long range rifles I pretty much have the drops stored in my head along with the loads I know work well so there is something to be said about the one rifle guy. I wish for what hunting and LR shooting I do I coul just have one rifle cause be warry of the one rifle man! Later,

Kirk

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not enough gun for moose. Barnes bullets might get a .308 to the marginal level, but I wouldn't.

Not sure about the AR-10, but the Garand doesn't like hot loads. It likes the ammo it was designed to shoot. I wonder if the AR-10 really likes hot .308 loads. Just a thought.

My experience with do-all stuff is that it usually doesn't do anything really well. For the cost involved you can buy two or three pretty nice bolt guns or a couple of .223 shooters, or three or four 7.62x39 rigs. CB

?????

You can hunt moose with .308.

guns_not_groceries

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I look at some of my guns and think "why do I have this"

you are crazy.........don't ask yourself questions like that.

Personally, I have a function/purpose for each gun that I own (even if the purpose is to look sweet hanging on the wall). Keeping the caliber, weight, handling, etc in mind, an AR10 wouldn't be ideal for any one use that you listed. At least with your bolt gun, AR, and so-on, each gun fits it's intended use quite well. Just my .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom