AR10 vs AR15 especially buffer assy's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matwor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you use a collapsible stock from an AR15 on an Armalite AR10? I understand that a different buffer spring and buffer will need to be used. I'm hoping someone can elaborate on specifically what type/weight buffer to use. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Factory AR-10 carbines use a longer buffer tube than AR-15s, which allows them to use an AR-15 carbine buffer. Just a standard carbine weight buffer is what comes standard in them. They use a different buffer spring too. They will take any mil spec dimension AR-15 stock, but they won't collapse all the way due to the longer buffer tube.

You can use a regular AR-15 buffer tube on an AR-10, but you will need to get a DPMS LR-308 style carbine buffer, which is shorter. A .308 carbine buffer spring is also necessary.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how much shorter ? I checked my PSA ar15 buffers and my PSA PA10 buffer all 4 were the same Lt + - by .001 " the heads and bodies were the same the only differance was the weight 3.0 oz for the 15's and 4.0 oz for the 10 . I plan to go to a heavyer buffer 5.4 or 6.0 + sometime soon . Am using the PSA PA10 buffer tube/spring/buffer and a magpul ar15 moe stock .

Latest posts

Top Bottom