Ar15 in 5.56 for a 1000 yard gun.. thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read today that a guy is wanting to build a 5.56 ar15 for a 1000 yard shooter. Definately not the caliber I would pick but he stated he wants a challenge. Seems counterproductive to me. What are your thoughts?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read today that a guy is wanting to build a 5.56 ar15 for a 1000 yard shooter. Definately not the caliber I would pick but he stated he wants a challenge. Seems counterproductive to me. What are your thoughts?
Yeap, sounds way counterproductive. I can’t imagine it being good for anything other than hitting a paper target at that kinda range. Out of a 18in barrel black hills 77gr OTM has a velocity of just over 2700fps. With a 200 yard zero you’re looking at 470ish inches of drop and with a 10mphh 90 degree crosswind you have about 142 inches of wind drift. Sound like it would be about as fun, practical, and realistic to pee into the wind at an electric fence.

But would I take potshots at a target 1000yards away with a 556? You bet I would. But I wouldn’t build a rifle for it or plan on doing it seriously. Furthest I’ve stretched a 556AR was about 600-650 yards on an unknown distance range, hit a man sized steel gong. Probably couldn’t repeat that reliably though.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Its a dumb idea ----- buuuuuuut , its a free country. We're still allowed to be dumb (for now)

1000 yards is tough enough with a .30-378 or a 338 Lapua

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not? Bob Munden hit a 200 yard target with a snubby.

1702533931173.png

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Burger 77 otm’s factory ammo is running about 2750. That was being shot out of a bolt rifle. I was running them over a chronograph and 100 es out of box ammo. I am now reloading for the 77 otm’s. I would like to see if it can make it out that far with a 223. I guess I need to load some otm’s for my AR that has a 18in barrel. But I think I will stick with the 6ARC for ar calibers that fit in that platform. The 6ARC and 224 Valkyrie was put out to compete in the 1k yard game out of an AR15. Now we are looking at another round 6 max for the AR platform. I’m interested to see actuals on this round.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one will with heavy bullets. And a might further. 24” heavy barrel, Leupold scope, etc, etc. those 2 targets were at 400 yards. I had it on the unknown distance range range at CMP Talledega. It went 30x30 hits.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

TulsaMike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive done 1100 yards (1000m) with 5.56 many times, but it only carries the energy of a 22LR at that distance so you really need to see the impact since its unlikely you will hear it (or if youre shooting paper, its much easier to see). You can make consistent hits in low wind, especially if you have an 18 or 20 inch barrel to get the velocity up on the 77 gr SMKs. I was hand loading when I had my MK12 clone so I was able to push the rounds a little harder than factory ammo, but the IMI Razor Core and other "mil" loads are pretty hot and will get there if youre patient and learn how to shoot when rounds are going transonic.

As far as purpose, for about 10 years, I was shooting 3 times a week when I had a private range, so you quickly get bored with firearms that are easy to make hits with. I have steel at 700m/800m/1000m/1 mile, and once you learn your rifle and get the load dialed in, the only challenge is really wind shifts at longer distances if you dont have flags up at the targets, which I never did, and in arizona, cactus doesnt tell wind very well. I was just buying factory rifles and tossing in triggers, then doing load development to see what I could get out of it. Short story is just about any production rifle today is capable of 1,000 yard hits as long as you have good ammo and a shooter behind it. With that in mind though, youre in for a real frustrating day if you have heavier shifting wind and trying to get on with a small caliber or a shorter barrel. I rarely build "long range" 5.56 rifles anymore because these days, 308 or 6.5 just isnt that much more expensive than match 5.56, but there is something peaceful about having a heavier 5.56 setup for precision that has zero recoil, nice and quiet with a can on it, and will make consistent 800m hits all day long, and 1000m hits in better wind, or present a fun challenge in adverse conditions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom