AR15 in 7.62x39...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just acquired a DPMS 7.62x39 upper. Had to order magazines, since none were included; they should arrive tomorrow, according to the tracking data.

Here's my question: Will I be able to shoot the less expensive ammo... like Wolf, Barnaul, Golden Tiger, and other non-brass cases? Or, can the AR machinery only handle brass cased ammo, which usually costs a little more?

I'll post a photo when everything is ready to go.

Thanks,

Cap'n Bill

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just acquired a DPMS 7.62x39 upper. Had to order magazines, since none were included; they should arrive tomorrow, according to the tracking data.

Here's my question: Will I be able to shoot the less expensive ammo... like Wolf, Barnaul, Golden Tiger, and other non-brass cases? Or, can the AR machinery only handle brass cased ammo, which usually costs a little more?

I'll post a photo when everything is ready to go.

Thanks,

Cap'n Bill

You can shoot any ammo out there My issue was the extractor breaking. But I have shot low end ammo from my DPMS and other AR's with problems, Just have to clean and lube it.

Fister

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up an extra bolt for it as well. Complete is best. These do have a tendancy to sheer lugs and or snap at the cam pin. Granted it should take a while before you experience this. Not everyone does but mine did.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a M&P-15 lower on which I mounted a Model One 7.62x39 upper. With Wolf steel-cased ammo, I had failures to fire about every fifth round, and an occasional failure to eject. If I switched to Monarch steel-cased ammo, I had no issues at all. YMMV

10mmPhil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some magazines can have feed problems with 762x39 setups. The USA "Frankenmags" are best.
(I haven't tried the C-Products mags yet...some have had feed issues with them)

10mmPhil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom