AR47 scope suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So some of you may remember my "review" of the NRA's FFP scope I picked up that I wasn't impressed with (turned out to be an Aim Sports scope). I was getting it for my friend's AR-pattern 7.62x39 I am collecting parts to build with him. Anyways, I ended up sending it back, and got my $200.03 refund deposited in my account today, so I'm looking for something else for him.

I was thinking of just giving him my Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO, but I got a smokin' deal on that one myself and hate to give it up, even though I haven't gotten around to mounting it on anything yet. :coffee2:

So I can get him the same scope through Optics Planet, Amazon or Primary Arms with the BDC reticle for about $169-189 or so. I can get the V-Plex reticle (which is what mine has) for considerably cheaper, I think $119 from Cabelas.

Should I consider something else? He is wanting to shoot mainly mid-range, just for fun, so he wants a little higher power than the typical AR 1-4 or 1-6. Vortex has a great warranty and I feel from my other optics (Nikon and Burris, mainly) that the glass is all comparable in this pricerange. He's also a veteran, so he qualifies for their discount, but again, at this pricerange, I don't know that it's worth going through the hassle of getting approved through them and then buying at the discount off of MSRP.

Is there anything out there that is a significant step up from this quality at the $200 price point?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda what I am thinking... I have often recommended Vortex myself, but after stepping out on a limb to try the NRA's offering, I kinda feel a bit gunshy now. lol. Looking for validation, I suppose. lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex is the way to go, but go with the viper line on a budget. The crossfire glass is quite sub par even for a budget priced scope.

I don't have any real experience with high-end scopes, so I can't really refute the assertion, but bottom line is, the Viper line starts at well over double the budget for this scope. It's just not doable for this basic, stripped-down first AR.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'll be honest. Call me a dick if you want, but The amount of money you've spent on Ar's that you don't even shoot (by your own account) should more than justify decent glass

Not a biggie... everyone has their own thing. This, however, isn't for me. It's for a friend, and it is his budget and his choice, so I'm trying to get him the best I can manage at his pricepoint. I am gradually picking up glass, and intend someday to get some nice stuff, but as of this point, I've not done so. I keep my eyes open for nice bargains in the classifieds. TBH, though, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone slam the Vortex glass quality for the price.

Someday I'll have more time to shoot, and I hope to buy a place where I can put in my own mini-range, which would make it much more convenient.

Latest posts

Top Bottom