Archery hunters and arrogance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why so many archery hunters think they're so much better than gun hunters?

I don't usually partake in the politics of this forum for fear of getting pounced on, or BB getting mad at me and missing out on her cookies. Yes, there is arrogance, basically, in the most simple thinking is, it is more difficult/ challenge to kill/harvest a deer with a bow than with a gun. With that said, then the variables kick in; The number one variable is MONEY!, then comes CY CURTIS, and POPE AND YOUNG, State records ETC. You have a farmer with a thousnd acres of soybeans and shoots a state record buck with a gun, off his land, and gets accolades and whatever from whomever, and then you have a 16 year old kid, or even me at 50, pops a Doe on PUBLIC land with a bow: Take a poll. who got the Trophy??? I went gun hunting on public land ONCE, ended up tucking myself between two trees till the shooting stopped.
If I shot the biggest buck in Oklahoma, or anywhere else, the only thing I would be thinking would be CHILE. I put in for the deer draw hunts, when I get drawn, I go, I shoot the deer, gut them. cut them up and eat them. But, I don't EVER, feel the rush I experiece when bowhunting, Last year, Thought the noise was a squirrel, thought well I'll watch a squirrel, NOT, Buck literally right underneath me, popped him, could barely walk after,. Draw Hunt, "Hey, Is that a deer?" Yeah, "How far away is he?" "150 yards" Holy crap thats close, pop...no adrenaline. arrogance? not me, but that is your splanation.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
were talking about tools used not deer killed (right)? or do kills all of sudden count on being "better". because then pandora's box is opened...size of gun, x bow, shot placement, etc... will follow and we all know what that means...lol.

What if I kill two with a bow and none with a gun...
You, two deer (1 gun and 1 bow)
Me, two deer (2 bow)
I'm better than you now right lol
I also kill a couple thousand fish a year with a bow..... We still keeping count BWAHAHAHA

I killed one deer with a rifle last year.
Under 10 yards with my 300 RUM LOL
I also killed one of my biggest bucks ever with a MuzzleLoader last year. Then again I also missed my biggest archery buck and possibly biggest buck ever last year with my bow. Chip shot too!!! No excuse for missing it...

i know where your coming from, but that is why i asked the sense of TOOLS USED in keeping score and not kills. hands down i gurantee just about everyone's kill numbers on here are higher than mine...lol. i've only been hunting roughly six years. BUT if its one thing i have learned; DO WORK, HAVE FUN! and it will all come together. i stopped deer hunting "rifle"after my 2-3rd year in....got into bow hunting and coyote hunting..coyote hunting i choose over everything! you have to call the game in and not just sit over a green field and wait, etc... little bit more of a personal challenge i guess.

ALLOUT, the praire dog pic is AWESOME!!!!!! defiantly gonna have to give it try, where do i sign up...lol

jayhawkclint

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the comments about getting a rush bow hunting. I just don't get that with a rifle. Bow hunting is much more exhilarating to me. I feel the same about x-bows. I would hunt with a recurve if I were good enough, but it just wouldn't be ethical with my current skill set.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people are drawn toward challenging tasks.

Some are drawn toward them for personal enjoyment while others are drawn toward them as a way to be able to show boat their more difficult accomplishments.

The concept of a higher percentage of archery hunters being portrayed as being arrogant, while it may be an accurate one, is focused on the sport instead of the individual. a more accurate way to look at it would be to say "arrogant people are often driven to showboat their success by promoting their perceived superiority through feats of strength."

Archery being more challenging than gun would be one of those ways, but is without a doubt not the only aspect of that person's life he/she draws a sense of superiority from.

One shouldn't view the sport to be disreputable due to its higher percentage of people who quest for recognition being drawn to it. It's just the way it is due to the percentage of emotionally flawed/careless people in the gene pool.

One should be humble in all things and look for strength within themselves for personal gratification, not the faces of others.

People of greatness will undoubtedly receive unsolicited recognition from their feats from time to time. Being able to respectfully acknowledge the praise of others without a lot of chest puffing and boastfulness is good for the soul.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's just my view. If you have a lease or personal property that you can manage, your expectations are much different than mine as I hunt public land save for 40 acres of private. I've passed on a spike and a four point on the 40 acres when bow hunting even though I wanted the meat badly. Since I hunt public land 90% of the time, and with a bow, my expectations and personal goals are different. I can't manage a public land deer population. I shoot does because I like venison, but some would say that's terrible for the population. I get a rush from successfully taking a doe with my bow. I hunt for myself. If a spike makes me happy, which it did 3 years ago when I'd only taken 2 deer with my bow, then that's my choice. Now I challenge myself to not only successfully harvest a deer, but take 3 year old or older bucks. I know that the small buck I pass might be shot 200 yards away, but if it makes that hunter happy, we're both hunting public land, more power to him. Sadly, we should worry more about sticking together and congratulating those who are successful than judge them based on our personal guidelines we've self-imposed. 2 cents provided.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even flyfishing has it's elitist. I learned it because it was more challenging and I enjoy it. Catching trout on powerbait got boring to me real fast. After watching some fly guys I decided I wanted to try it. I think bowhunting is more challenging than gun hunting but your going to have arrogant people in every sport, put them on your ignore list if they bother you that much.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2012 was my first year hunting period. I bought a bow cheap here on OSA and went out and tried. Worst hunter ever but I learned alot. I got the mindset that my first deer will be taken with a bow. I never took a rifle out with me and kicked myself cause I could have harvested 2 deer that way. I have no room to be arrogant but I really want to take a deer with my bow so that's what I'm holding out for.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2012 was my first year hunting period. I bought a bow cheap here on OSA and went out and tried. Worst hunter ever but I learned alot. I got the mindset that my first deer will be taken with a bow. I never took a rifle out with me and kicked myself cause I could have harvested 2 deer that way. I have no room to be arrogant but I really want to take a deer with my bow so that's what I'm holding out for.

Then do it!!! And don't give up....
I killed my first few deer with a bow and never picked up a gun to hunt for a long time. It's a very gratifying feeling when it all comes together.
I enjoy both now plus ML, but the feeling of taking your first deer with archery equipment is a memory and feeling you'll never forget.

oden_sparks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard arrogant people in all shooting groups but probably more frequently in archery and long range rifle hunters. Not sure why, I guess some people need to feel important. I will say personally I agree that a close bow shot gets the blood flowing for me better than a long rifle shot. I haven't rifle hunted deer in years because I enjoy archery so much more but I respect whatever anyone chooses to hunt with. Honestly, I do feel it's more challenging to bow hunt than rifle. That's why kids kill deer all the time with a rifle but not near as frequently with a bow. But I hunt with a compound so guys shooting a recursive or long bow with no sights and wooden arrows probably feel more accomplished than me and I don't mind, I'd like to do it myself someday. Maybe even eventually get to the point that I can hunt with a spear. I think some guys have a desire to be more primal and get as close to caveman hunting as possible. The arrogance definitely isn't necessary though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom