are godless kids doomed?...and other fun stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get yours? I bet it was from the people in your life who had the greatest impact on you, regardless of their beliefs.
If that is not where values come from, then as some suggest, they must come from a book. In actuality, the latter makes sense.... My favorite book when I was a kid was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and now days I fashion corpses together in my attic.

Seriously though, varying religions don't give people their values. In fact, it is the people who give their religion it's values. Throughout history just about every culture (again, regardless of religion) has known that it is wrong to murder, steal, lie, ect.

You are right. In my youth my values came from my parents and my church. Once I developed an awareness, my values came from the Bible and my church.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same for me. It's always best to follow the makers operating manual.

Woody

which version/translation? Even if you accept that God's word was passed to man, it's hard thousands of years to be interpreted/corrupted/manipulated, has it not?

The bible was first written in a language that was not easily understood by the average person, was it not?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
which version/translation? Even if you accept that God's word was passed to man, it's hard thousands of years to be interpreted/corrupted/manipulated, has it not?

The bible was first written in a language that was not easily understood by the average person, was it not?

Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You raise a good point! The KJV has numerous translation errors. The worst was translating Sheol,Ghenna, and Tartaroo into one incorrect word: Hell....

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.

latin, as well? which was not widely understood and required a priest to 'help' be understood/shared. Wasn't that one of the points of the reformation?

But the overall point still stands. Which 'owners manual' is correct? I don't mean to disparage those who choose to live by the teaching of the bible, but rather point out that the bible we have today is far different (both in language and meaning) from the original and that the idea that the bible is uncorrupted by the needs of man is unrealistic.

It has served as a tool of those in power for centuries in much the same way the powers continues to manipulate the masses today.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get hung-up in the literal. Look for the relative meaning.

i agree, it's just too bad that so many want to focus on the literal words when judging others who are different, or who use scripture quotes to condemn otherwise good people. It's not all Christians, but it does happen far too often for my comfort.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i agree, it's just too bad that so many want to focus on the literal words when judging others who are different, or who use scripture quotes to condemn otherwise good people. It's not all Christians, but it does happen far too often for my comfort.

You are right. Far too many Christians (and Atheist for that matter) focus on the literal interpretation of scripture. In fact, some churches teach and preach only the literal. One of the reasons I favor the Catholic Church is because they focus on the relative meaning of scripture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom