are moison nagant rifles good for deer and hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
I did not see a m44 on your list sir. You have failed!

j/k

True but my youngest son does. He caught the fever and ended up with a m44, m24 and 91/59. Not mine but I do get to touch them. Have been caught also casting eyes on his m24 for sure. The beauty of the Nagant is darn good rifle and very accurate. I have a 91/30 with pu scope that I just love to shoot. Also the ammo is still about the cheapest on the market for a full battle rifle. I catch myself, while holding one of them, wondering if you could talk what tails would you tell me. Oh well enough lust, but I really do like them. Wife got mad at me a few weeks ago about the m39. Pointed out she has not seen such a lustful look in my eyes for anything like it in my eyes for some time. Well what can I say, you just gotta love them.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a used military rifle I'd look till I found a good Mauser '98, most likely in 8MM. I've already got an anchor for my bass buggy so I would have no need for Mosin.:chat:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a used military rifle I'd look till I found a good Mauser '98, most likely in 8MM. I've already got an anchor for my bass buggy so I would have no need for Mosin.:chat:

I have an M44 and it shoots great. Handy little rifle too. I would happily deer hunt with it as long as the ranges were under 200. The Carbine lengths are pretty well balanced rifles, and mine shoots as good as I can with Irons. I can't wait to take a deer with it, and show people with decent 270, 308 & 30-06's what a $100 dollar rifle can do. I use Winchester white box 180 grain SP.

No rifle, no matter the quality, price or "decent"ness will make up for your lack of practice. But good practice can make up for lack of fancy gear.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To me, the Mosin handles like a fence post. The handling quality of a rifle has eveything to do with how well one can shoot with it . Ya' buy a $100 rifle ya' get a $100 rifle. I know, I'm:offtopic: I'm just saying, there are much better choices out there for not much more money. :homer:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just make sure you accessorize any M-N you buy, with the one item that's indispensable for a day at the range or in the field:

A length of 2x4 lumber.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a 203grn SP X54R will absolutely explode an armodillo, so yes i'd say its fine for deer hunting

Have you been following me around again? :)

there are much better choices out there for not much more money.
Like what? You can't get into a decent k31 for less than $200 it seems, and Mausers in good shape are going higher these days. (With the MN, i'm guessing it's the volume discount.) But here's the biggie: surplus 7.62x54R ammo is about as cheap as it gets. Heck, even the new manufacture Russian ammo can be had for less than 50 cents a round.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay to all haters of MN rifles... I used a friends and bullseyed my second shot the "second" time to EVER shoot a riflle. (with open sights) They are great rifles.

not hatin just funin. if it is all you have or can afford than it is good enough but I would prefer a modern muzzle loader if I was on a tight budget you get 2 seasons out of it. was that shot @200 or 300 yards

Latest posts

Top Bottom