are you a better citizen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
because you now have your CCW?

This was touched on in another thread and I thought it needed a dedicated thread.

So has having a CCW made you a better citizen.

Does it impact your reasoning and actually make your more aware of situations and more risk adverse?

Does it give you confidence to be a better good samaritan?

The example that touched of the discussion was in regards to road rage. I made the comment that now that I'm a CCW holder, I go out of my way to try and avoid any road rage situation. I won't show any aggression or respond to any aggression when a road rage situation presents itself. Being a CCW holder has changed my mindset. I feel that I need to be the bigger man in a situation so I can avoid any conflicts.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Has it changed you?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does impact my reasoning and makes me more aware of situations and the need to avoid them. To me carrying is like the quote "With great power comes great responsibility".

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know that i'm a better citizen. I do know that I can walk away from someone that is doing their best trash talking and name calling. I had problems doing that before.

Michael

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I, for one, hope that it does. If nothing else, the little bit of training given in CCW classes at least gives those that have taken the classes something to consider. Hopefully, some of those will decide to take more classes on safe firearm handling and use.

I remember an instructor telling me, "EVERY BULLET COMES WITH A LAWYER."

Meaning that what action I may take, regardless of motive, will likely require me to hire an attorney to protect myself from lawsuits.

Now, having said that, I wish to comment that there are some on OSA's forums that concern me almost as much as the criminal element. Maybe it is nothing more than bravado, encouraged with the anonymity of the forums with user names instead of real names, that makes some admit, or threaten, to "at least near" criminal activity.

I don't wish to detail what I have read simply because I MAY have misunderstood the comments those individuals made and what they "really" meant.

I do know that in spite of growing up with weapons, I feel that I don't know enough. Thus, I am a member of OSA with the hope of learning from the tips, knowledge, and experiences of so many others. To all of you....

....Thanks.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So has having a CCW made you a better citizen.

Not sure how to answer.

Does it impact your reasoning and actually make your more aware of situations and more risk adverse?

Absolutely

Does it give you confidence to be a better good samaritan?

Yes

So what are everyone's thoughts on the matter?

Has it changed you?

I am much more alert and aware of what's going on around me.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont believe it has made me a better citizen. More informed maybe. Better trained and more aware for sure. And a big sigh of relief that I dont have to carry illegal-because I have and would again just to protect myself and my family while away from my house and out and about- from whatever,whoever. My life and my familys lives come first.

I do believe there is great responsibility with carrying legally concealed when it comes to the legal ramifications of if ever having to exercise the right to use a firearm. If I had to use it I would but I wouldnt want to-it would have to be a last resort situation for me to pull a gun and shoot someone dead. I do not go looking for trouble just to 'test the waters' at all. I would still always rely on my wits first,then my fists and fighting skills,then my knife-way before even thinking about pulling a firearm out. Like I said-last resort. But a better citizen? Unlike some others who have been put in the situation of helping others with their firearms when out in public-I'm not a cop,never going to be a cop,and I dont walk around like Superman or a vigilante thinking its my job to save other peoples lives just because I'm carrying a gun. Having a CC permit does not make me feel taller or tougher. If thats the great responsibility part, then I would have to really think things through before I got involved in putting myself in danger to help someone other than a family member. It would really have to be a situation where I knew I was going to be able to survive it. To lay your life down to save another human,albeit strangers, would really take some courage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom