Are you as boring as J.T.? Watch live coverage of the spillway @ Texoma!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is going over, a little above, .62 feet at this moment. In 1990, it went over the spill way, about 4 foot deep. We lost a bunch of our mature stipers then, as the obeyed their genetic urge to head to the sea. I was a delivery driver for T.H. Rogers Lumber Co. I spent all of that summer, delivering materials around the Oklahoma side of the lake, to rebuild all the flooded homes and business's.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were fresh water born and raised, they can't line in the ocean.

All stripers are fresh water born and return to the sea in the wild.
They are anadromous like salmon.
With the very high salinity content of the Red River that feeds Texoma, I didn't figure it would take much acclimation for them to return to the sea.
As far as those artificially bred from land locked sources, I didn't find a lot of information that said if they could survive in sea water or not.
Sources?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were fresh water born and raised, they can't line in the ocean.

All stripers are fresh water born and return to the sea in the wild.
They are anadromous like salmon.
With the very high salinity content of the Red River that feeds Texoma, I didn't figure it would take much acclimation for them to return to the sea.
As far as those artificially bred from land locked sources, I didn't find a lot of information that said if they could survive in sea water or not.
Sources?
Yes, what he said. Striper are native to the ocean and travel up freshwater rivers to spawn. Do they die when they come up river to spawn? Nope.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a line about five miles long to go watch the spectacle in person, I saw the line and hung a u turn. I am sorry about the lack of real pictures but you can close your eyes and imagine it. ��

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's only going to go higher at Texoma. US70 at Roosevelt Bridge is prolly going to be shut down in the day or so.
Hugo lake has it's gates open full bore, and Broken Bow Lake has them open 3 feet.
Major flooding down stream, 13 people are currently trapped at a cabin. Waiting for day light before anyone can attempt to rescue them.
Red River is bursting it's banks, and flooding down stream is going to be historic.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We decided to take off yesterday morning instead of today, didn't get out on the lake and shore fishing wasn't very fruitful. Had a great time regardless.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Latest posts

Top Bottom