Arghhhhh f$*%&*$ best buy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a recommendation on a good quality HD camcorder they like? Looking for something in the $400-$600 range. Good picture, sound, just a nice all-around camera. Oh and it needs to be available on BB so that I can finally use these stupid gift cards and end my otherwise miserable relationship with this sorry excuse of a clusterfugged company. See below for the juicy details

Best (Worst?) Buy is without question the biggest joke of the electronics retailing universe! Stay away from this garbage POS "business" Best Buy is to retailing what David Stanley is to car dealerships.

Okay, got that out of the way. Yes most of this is going to be venting just FYI

Wife and I got a camcorder for X-mas from her dad. Unfortunately he made two big mistakes. The first is that he got it at BB, and the second was he picked the first model he found at the price he wanted...and it sucks. Honestly, my wife even commented on how bad the picture was and her knowledge of electronics is uhm, limited shall we say. So we return it, get a gift card, and go shopping. Didn't find anything we liked so we went online to their website (btw, their camcorder selection is teh SUCK) and found a nice Canon vixia M41 at a real bargain...less than $400! Select in-store pickup, are just about to drive over to the store when I decide to call and confirm the damn thing is actually over there and after being assured that it was, was then informed that they couldn't find it. So I select "ship to home" and sit back and wait with great anticipation. Being the genius that I was, I tossed the card since it had been spent. Or so I thought

That was on 12/27. Was then informed on 12/28 that the item is now backordered. From my searches online that typically means for items like this that BB is not carrying the item anymore and it will be discontinued soon. So I decide to wait and see what happens. Nothing happens. No communication. No updates. Nada. The only reason I know the order is still active is because my checking account still, TO THIS DAY, has a $200 hold on it. Call BB, get transferred around. Get hung up on. Get someone who just tells me that is "backordered" 7 different times and then saying I should receive an email saying its backordered like that's supposed to help me out. I post on the BB forums and finally, today, after a week, someone from the BB team gets in touch with me. He confirms that the item is being discontinued by BB and that there is no way to tell when or even if the item will ship. I want to ask him why their inventory system can't seem to figure this out but I refrain.

So he tells me that he can get me a new gift card mailed to me in the original amount plus another $100 for my trouble. Or I can choose to wait and see if the camera comes in. But if it doesn't ship within the 30 day backorder time period, they will just cancel the order outright. Oh and did I mention that it will still take them 10-14 business days to mail me the gift card with my original balance on it? SMH. Just out of curiosity today I went back to the BB web site and looked up the M41 camcorder and now it says sold out online but that it is usually available in stores within 3-5 days of the order and that it is available at several BB stores in neighboring cities BUT the cost is now $700 AND BB apparently won't allow me to take my order to a store and have it filled there.

This whole thing stinks. I feel like I was enticed to buy a product at a price and now they are purposely not fulfilling the order while apparently making the cameras available at other locations.

So officially, Rant Off. Just stay away from BB. This company is so slimy that I feel that not only did I pick up the clap from them but that my computer may have also gotten a virus from visiting their website. Amazon, newegg, tigerdirect, hell even wal-mart would probably be better than them. I'm only stuck here because I've been forced onto the gift cards.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason it says sold out online but gives a 3-5 day in-store availability is because some stores nationwide may have one or two items sitting in their warehouses. I almost guarantee you could call Monroe, LA and they'd have a dozen in stock.

I completely understand how you feel. We do $*** like this all the time. As bad as it feels from your perspective, imagine how $hitty it feels from the perspective of someone who spends most of his time each day helping people resolve these issues.

If you're in the mood, give me a call sometime after 4 on Monday. 4799739524. Press 8 to enter an extension and them 2170 for my line. Ask for Ed. It's store 351 in Fayetteville, so probably out of your way but I can at least help you check inventory for your local stores, prices, and get you taken care of. One OSAer to another. Being in a store gives me a lot more leeway than some corporate schmuck who has no idea what customers are actually looking for.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it says sold out online but gives a 3-5 day in-store availability is because some stores nationwide may have one or two items sitting in their warehouses. I almost guarantee you could call Monroe, LA and they'd have a dozen in stock.

I completely understand how you feel. We do $*** like this all the time. As bad as it feels from your perspective, imagine how $hitty it feels from the perspective of someone who spends most of his time each day helping people resolve these issues.

If you're in the mood, give me a call sometime after 4 on Monday. 4799739524. Press 8 to enter an extension and them 2170 for my line. Ask for Ed. It's store 351 in Fayetteville, so probably out of your way but I can at least help you check inventory for your local stores, prices, and get you taken care of. One OSAer to another. Being in a store gives me a lot more leeway than some corporate schmuck who has no idea what customers are actually looking for.

Holly cow, what customer service should be like. Ed, you give me hope. :clap3:

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a similar experience recently. Wife ordered a ps3 from our local best buy. It said they had it in stock. They emailed back after we ordered that they didn't have it in stock. I called customer service. They told me another store had it in stock and that I could pick it up there.

Sure enough the other store didn't have it either. They had one particular item that was also on the same order. I ended up waiting 4 or 5 days for it to ship to the other store. Not a huge deal, just kind of a hassle. The store itself was nice and easy enough to deal with, it just didn't seem like the lady on the customer service line had time to verify that my entire order was available and not just one item off the order.

Did you go to the store pickup section of the store the first time you went? When you order online and select in store pickup they have a section to the side behind a counter where they keep that stuff so someone else won't come in and buy the last one before you get it.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wow, thanks. Yeah I will be giving you a call tomorrow then. Maybe I can finally figure out what's going on.

Post was WAAAYYY too long. Lost interest somewhere in the second rambling(paragraph).
Doosh

Did you go to the store pickup section of the store the first time you went? When you order online and select in store pickup they have a section to the side behind a counter where they keep that stuff so someone else won't come in and buy the last one before you get it.
First time I went, couldn't find anything I liked so I went home, ordered online and chose instore pickup at another but still localish best buy. when I called to verify that my order was there, they suddenly couldn't find it :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom