Anybody Have Trouble with a Buy on Facebook Before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one question for you:

"Is this still available?" :)

I have sold quite a few things on Marketplace but also have thwarted a bunch of scams. All my listings state cash only and in-person in the part of town I specified. Regardless, I have these people, typically with first and last names that I have never heard of and who appear to have no connection to my area, want to have someone else (brother, co-worker, friend, etc.) pick up the item and pay me with Zelle.

It has gotten to the point I can point out the scammer profiles very quickly out though I can't always identify what might be the angle they are working or the scam. I'm convinced some people are just trying to mess with sellers.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you send PP money friends and family it is considered a gift and typically that money is gone and uncontestable.
As mentioned above, PP good and services has some leverage for refund.
Oh and FB deals are ftf and cash only. Everything else is a scam.
That is why the guy wanted me to send it friends but, I didn't.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I no longer place "Wanted To Buy"On THIS web site either. I made a post looking to buy a Spotting scope! A guy sent me a picture/s with a high price. I told him that was more than I wanted to pay. He came back with a lower price, and I agreed to it. He wanted VERMO for payment. I said I only use pay pal with a "GOODS Purchased". He came back with he had bad experience with Pay Pal and won't use them. So he sent me a picture of a Sheriff's Office Badge with credentials. to make me feel like I could trust him. I called the Sheriffs office in North Carolina and they told me that it was a scam and they have had several people call already. I played along with the guy and told him I would mail him a check for half, and when I get the spotting scope I would send the other half. He agreed and sent me a real address. I gave all that information to the NC Sheriff. But they basically said they would call the local and turn it over to them. Since out of state, nothing they could do. A month later, another scam answering yet another add. I tried to inform the person who runs this website with details, but never heard back. Hoping they would oust him off this site!

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
419408967_10224567252914740_5445938698932880494_n.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I no longer place "Wanted To Buy"On THIS web site either. I made a post looking to buy a Spotting scope! A guy sent me a picture/s with a high price. I told him that was more than I wanted to pay. He came back with a lower price, and I agreed to it. He wanted VERMO for payment. I said I only use pay pal with a "GOODS Purchased". He came back with he had bad experience with Pay Pal and won't use them. So he sent me a picture of a Sheriff's Office Badge with credentials. to make me feel like I could trust him. I called the Sheriffs office in North Carolina and they told me that it was a scam and they have had several people call already. I played along with the guy and told him I would mail him a check for half, and when I get the spotting scope I would send the other half. He agreed and sent me a real address. I gave all that information to the NC Sheriff. But they basically said they would call the local and turn it over to them. Since out of state, nothing they could do. A month later, another scam answering yet another add. I tried to inform the person who runs this website with details, but never heard back. Hoping they would oust him off this site!
If it was through a PM hit the report button there and give us the member's information so we can check it out.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I no longer respond to “want to buy” ads on here, because the majority of people posting them want something for nothing and aren’t willing to pay fair market value. :rolleyes2

Last edited:

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paypal will refund you your money. It can take a while but the typically side with the buyer 99% of the time. You will have to file a dispute with Paypal. Last dispute I filed took about 3 weeks to resolve and get my money back. They will make you try and resolve it with the seller in writing through Paypal then wait for their response.
I always use Paypal /American Express. Amex takes care of their customers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom