Armed robbery in Hobart, OK today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know (or hope) that most of this thread is in jest. However, I hope the participants realize they are essentially promoting vigilantism, which is a common argument used against those who support both the 2nd Amendment and concealed carry.
Please don't get butthurt, just a young squirt putting his 2cents in.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vigilantism is a mob dealing out justice absent a legal court process [such as in the old lynchings].... I believe what was being proposed above [though not spelled out] was citizens banding together to guard a store, capture the armed robbers if they came in, making a citizens arrest and turning them over to the law... there is a difference. and when your dealing with armed gunmen, then you have a right to be armed yourself.

In rural SW Oklahoma, citizens look out for each other... and support the law enforcement officials....here, if some good ole boy were to be driving down the road and see a Deputy wrestling with a guy on the side of the road.. he would jump out to help the deputy subdue the guy. There has been several times over the years that when female officers were needing help to subdue male suspects they had stopped.... that male by-standers jumped in to help until back-up officers arrived..

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vigilantism is mob dealing out justice absent a legal court process [such as in the old lynchings].... I believe what was being proposed above [though not spelled out] was citizens banding together to guard a store, capture the armed robbers if they came in, making a citizens arrest and turning them over to the law... there is a difference. and when your dealing with armed gunmen, then you have a right to be armed yourself.

In rural SW Oklahoma, citizens look out for each other... and support the law enforcement officials....here, if some good ole boy were to be driving down the road and see a Deputy wrestling with a guy on the side of the road.. he would jump out to help the deputy subdue the guy. There has been several times over the years that when female officers were needing help to subdue male suspects they had stopped.... that male by-standers jumped in to help until back-up officers arrived..

Thank you sir. Lone Wolf.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vigilantism is a mob dealing out justice absent a legal court process [such as in the old lynchings].... I believe what was being proposed above [though not spelled out] was citizens banding together to guard a store, capture the armed robbers if they came in, making a citizens arrest and turning them over to the law... there is a difference. and when your dealing with armed gunmen, then you have a right to be armed yourself.

It is one thing to help out someone in need (like a neighbor or female or male officer being attacked in front of your very eyes). It is quite another to organize this....
It might be legal but is it prudent?

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is one thing to help out someone in need (like a neighbor or female or male officer being attacked in front of your very eyes). It is quite another to organize this....
It might be legal but is it prudent?

if they have been robbed 2 times in the same week, damn right its prudent to help out. we need to help each other out once in a while. if the local law enforcement isn't able to apprehend these criminals, we need to step in and assist the store clerk and possibly prevent a murder.

its like ole george bush said: you are either with us, or against us.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nor would it go well, I suspect, if one was to shoot said armed robber. Even in self-defense, you still knowingly put yourself in a position where you were shooting to kill. It isn't exactly "I was buying my Coors when Billybob busted in an stuck a gun in Tammy's face. So I pulled Mr Smith and Wesson and blew his head off." This would be self-defense.

It is more like:
Judge Justice: "So, Mr. 2ndAmendment, you and your cohorts knowingly entered the store of Joe's Dipp'n'Stuf hoping the defendant Billybob would enter said store? You constructed an ambush for the defendant and armed yourself in order to catch a perpetrator on property other than your own?"
Thisis obviously not, if you knowingly put yourself in this position.

You see where I'm going here? It doesn't look very good on the rest of us if you've got a bunch of guns down at the corner gas station hoping that some armed burglars drop by.

I would understand if a bunch of people drove around SW OK looking for a green Tundra and then reported it to the county when they found it. But what you are suggesting is an ambush. And on the edges of those posts is the hope that someone gets to pull the trigger on the robbers, which is a serious deal, considering stray shots and innocent people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom