Article on AR cleaning and lubrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ok ok. I am not an engineer (although I major'd in engineering for a semester and took some really tough classes). There is a lot of b.s. on this board and the other one I am a member of. A "fraken-gun" is not a bad thing. I myself have had one put together by myself and a person on this board and it is miles better than my stock bushmaster. No bushmasters are not "high on the chart" right now, but I remember when they were. Also my Remington R-15 is better than my bushmaster, don't give me the b.s. they are made by the same company. They might be, but Remington gets the luck of the draw because both mine and my brother's R-15's are "better" than both our bushmasters. I say "better" as in a cosmetic standpoint; the finish is better, the fit is tighter, the BCG is of smoother finish, and other "minor" details that people insist make a "better" rifle. I don't really think I can tell a discernible difference between a Colt and a DSA as much as I shoot. Maybe some of the elite on here that shoot 10k's rounds a month can.

Now back to the "cheap parts". I find it HILARIOUS that someone can comment on rifles being put together by "cheap parts" when at their booth at every gunshow I have attended they have UTG, NC Star, and other various CHEAP brands. The funniest rifle I have ever seen was a 16" carbine with a bi-pod, vertical grip, light, laser, 3-9 power scope in a piss poor mount (probably UTG), UTG/NC Star rail, AND a Noveske KX3 flaming pig muzzle device. Really?? These are high quality and serve a purpose? REally??!? Maybe this person was just show casing their array of parts and different configurations. or maybe this person has a very small minded understanding about AR's and enjoys posting on a forum that they are a sponsor of to conjure up business. (which IMO there really is nothing wrong with that, it becomes wrong when that person is a arrogant and misguides people into buying subpar parts and touting them as being legit). Whats funny is the KX3 probably cost more than all of those other add-ons together.

I myself went through that stage where I thought it was cool to have a high power scope, bipod, VFG, and a light on a carbine. I SOON realized that it was VERY impractical. It was heavy, awkward, and really did nothing to add to accuracy and effectiveness. Learning is part of it. When I see weapons with all the gizmos and gadgets I just smile. I figure if that person carries that rifle for more than an hour, about half of that crap is coming off. I am not an operator nor LEO, although by watching their methods it is very easy to see what works.

The chart isn't entirely shite. I have never seen a chart between Remington, Winchester, Browning, or Kimber. Maybe there is one out there but I would bet its as meaningless as a chart on bottled waters. There are things that make certain things better. I feel that the "chart" is meaningless in determining which AR is right for you. MOST people will never use their AR to head to battle or to fight off zombies. MOST people use their for target practice, some for bench rest (whether they realize it or not), and other actually put some hard use through theirs by taking classes and competition. The only thing I see the chart aiding in is price. If a blow joe wants to buy an Ar, there is no point in him spending $1,500 on a rifle he may fire 200 rounds a year. Someone that is buying one for LE work or something where their life may depend on it will get better use out of the chart.

If anybody has a problem with this post then tough ****. I have never served in the military and I am not LEO. These are my personal thoughts on what I feel is hypocritical b.s. that goes on here. I really don't know many people in person on this board so I am not meaning to personally attack anyone. I just feel it is necessary to call people out on their lies.

THIS!!! Well stated Wormy!

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL that is back to that chart again, required Mil., the main reason that several manufacturers do not stake them now is because many people change out the tubes and other parts or do Mods, so much after purchase.

LOl I just use red locktite and a good castle nut wrench haha

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MOST people will never use their AR to head to battle or to fight off zombies. MOST people use their for target practice, some for bench rest (whether they realize it or not), and other actually put some hard use through theirs by taking classes and competition. The only thing I see the chart aiding in is price. If a blow joe wants to buy an Ar, there is no point in him spending $1,500 on a rifle he may fire 200 rounds a year. Someone that is buying one for LE work or something where their life may depend on it will get better use out of the chart.

Therein lies that point that usually starts all of the bickering. I do not recall any posts by the folks who are refered to as "elitist" or "snobs" where they said everyone needs to buy a top tier rifle based on "the chart". The point that they usually try to get across is when the guy with the Blackthorne frankengun who only shoots 200rds a year says that his rifle is "just as good as" a Colt when he has nothing to base it on. You are correct that MOST of the folks on here would be fine with ANY AR because they just don't ride them that hard and they would work fine for the occasional trip to the range. When the rifles are seriously used and abused is when you will see where the quailty guns (or quality parts guns) stand out. As you said, the chart is more useful to those whose lives depend on their rifle working all the time. Just my humble opinion.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKay, I'm not an engineer either, but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once just before getting my AR.

I liked the article. But I don't think I'll be keeping a bottle of vagisil in my cleaning kit. The others at the range already move away when I arrive.

:D

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah forget the cleaning, Just get a good piston AR or build ur own and have all the parts coated by Fail Zero! There no more real cleaning problems. :P

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Therein lies that point that usually starts all of the bickering. I do not recall any posts by the folks who are refered to as "elitist" or "snobs" where they said everyone needs to buy a top tier rifle based on "the chart". The point that they usually try to get across is when the guy with the Blackthorne frankengun who only shoots 200rds a year says that his rifle is "just as good as" a Colt when he has nothing to base it on. You are correct that MOST of the folks on here would be fine with ANY AR because they just don't ride them that hard and they would work fine for the occasional trip to the range. When the rifles are seriously used and abused is when you will see where the quailty guns (or quality parts guns) stand out. As you said, the chart is more useful to those whose lives depend on their rifle working all the time. Just my humble opinion.

Ditto.

Latest posts

Top Bottom