At what point are you justified 2 use force?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried looking but couldn’t find anything. But that still won’t stop someone from trying, causing you to hire lawyers, added stress etc.
It is in the SDA. Everyone who carries a gun in Oklahoma really should read the SDA

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/SDA_LAW_BOOK_NOVEMBER_2021.pdf
I believe the relevant section is page 42
TITLE 21 § 1289.25 PHYSICAL OR DEADLY FORCE AGAINST INTRUDER
F: A person who uses defensive force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections A, B, D and E of this
section, is justified in using such defensive force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the
use of such defensive force. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes charging or
prosecuting the defendant.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been discussed before. Probably has, but...

Situation: You are sitting in your car and someone starts attacking it.
Kicking, jumping on the hood, punching the doors and windows, trying to open the doors.
Maybe swinging a baseball bat at the car?

At what point can you justifiably use deadly force?

My understanding is that as long as the interior of the vehicle has not been breached, not much you can do.

Once they grab the handles and try to open the door?
Or once the windows crack?

If they are laying in front of you preventing your movement while others attack your vehicle?
What options do you have?

I know we have all watched these scenes on TV, but what happens in real life.

Curious.
According to the paperwork it is when you fear for your life. We cannot use deadly force to protect property. But the moment they’re trying to break the glass and get into the vehicle, the baseball bat is a weapon that can bludgeon you and kill you. If they’re trying to gain entrance into the vehicle with a weapon and you fear for your life that seems like justification right there.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi. I'm not trying to be an ass or a jerk.

It's one thing to ask other people, either on line here, or in person that you meet.

Let's get one thing perfectly straight and clear: You do NOT want to be in a position where you are sent to jail or prison. What about your family, how will they survive?

Personally, I believe that if something is that important, I'd get some legal advice. So what if you costs you a couple 3 or 4 or 5 hundred bucks? You can't afford it? YOU CAN"T AFFORD NOT TO !!!

I believe I'd take the certified real Oklahoma Self Defense Class, or whatever they call it nowadays, the one you take to get your State Permit to Carry.

I'd ONLY take the one where a licensed Attorney, a member of the State Bar on good standing will speak and then take and answer questions.

Then I'd call around and find out who, among the Criminal Defense attorneys, has defended someone in this manner.

Then I'd make an appointment with at least 1, or 2, to talk to me so that I have a crystal clear idea of what could happen. You may, or may not, be able to get some free time to talk.

Of course, the Attorney can't ask every "what if" question because there are too many variables, but you should come away with a really good understanding of the basic principles of self defense, what the police may do, what the legal system may do, etc.

I'm not a rich man, but I'd darn sure be happy to spend a few hundred or a thousand bucks so that I am reasonably educated to understand the pitfalls and such, and thus the consequences that may or may not be coming. Keeping my family from becoming homeless and hungry motivates me quite well.

No joke, folks, if you get on the wrong side of the law, it doesn't a darn bit of difference what someone told you on the internet.
Free to watch from US Law Shield

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting.

The judge remarked when sentencing Theodore Edgecomb for 1st degree homocide, "he brought a gun to a fist fight". The older but larger and unarmed Jason Cleereman was advancing and got close to arms reach of Edgecomb when Edgecomb brought a gun to a fist fight. Attorney Andrew Branca was doing commentary on the sentencing and noted the comment made by the judge as something he has been telling people.

Anyway just an interesting comment by the judge.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well…I guess if it comes down to either having to pay $400,000 or getting killed…I’ll be paying the $400,000 (80s/90s $ + inflation) every time.
Me to, but there is something wrong when we can't defend our family, without being ruined financhelly, don't you think? Did you hear about the women that got on the courthouse elivater with a serial killer, child rapist, and a lawyer? She only had two bullets in her pistol, so she shot the lawyer twice?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting.

The judge remarked when sentencing Theodore Edgecomb for 1st degree homocide, "he brought a gun to a fist fight". The older but larger and unarmed Jason Cleereman was advancing and got close to arms reach of Edgecomb when Edgecomb brought a gun to a fist fight. Attorney Andrew Branca was doing commentary on the sentencing and noted the comment made by the judge as something he has been telling people.

Anyway just an interesting comment by the judge.
What was this?

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me to, but there is something wrong when we can't defend our family, without being ruined financhelly, don't you think? Did you hear about the women that got on the courthouse elivater with a serial killer, child rapist, and a lawyer? She only had two bullets in her pistol, so she shot the lawyer twice?
Lol! That’s an oldie but a goodie. But it honestly doesn’t surprise me in this litigious society we live in now. Hell we can’t even get sick without being ruined financially. It’s all by design, the wealthiest of the wealthy in this country, the people that own both political parties, want us to dig ourselves in a hole we can never get out of, keep us divided and fighting with each other for petty reasons, trick us into signing away all of our assets, take our rights away, and silence us…all to keep us under their thumb while their wealth and power keeps growing. Ever since they legalized bribery on the capital steps, the needs of the working class have been tossed aside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom