ATF (Obama) Reclassifies Wetted Nitrocellulose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reader's digest version:

III. Impact of ATF Reclassification
Manufacturers and importers of smokeless propellant have relied on ATF private letter rulings issued prior to 2016 stating that nitrocellulose wetted with water not less than 25 percent by mass is not subject to regulation under the federal explosives laws. Accordingly, the manufacturers have set up their logistics, storage and operations consistent with nitrocellulose not being regulated as an explosive. Manufacturers and importers may not have adequate storage facilities or record keeping systems to comply with the law. Licensed manufacturers also rely on private, unlicensed vendors to store wetted nitrocellulose in facilities that do not comply with storage requirements. A number of manufacturers also report an adverse impact on their contracts to supply smokeless propellant and finished rounds of ammunition to the Department of Defense.

Publication of the change in classification in an industry newsletter without advance notice has left manufacturers scrambling to determine what standards ATF will allow for alternate storage and record keeping and to obtain permits for unlicensed storage vendors. In the meantime, manufacturers and importers are violating federal law, as ATF allowed no grace period for coming into compliance. We note that ATF has authorized such periods in the past when changing agency positions. For example, see ATF’s November 12, 2010 Open Letter regarding explosive pest control devices.

Leave it to the BATFE under the Obama Administration to potentially adversely impact the procurement of ammunition by the Defense Dept.

The real question is, should the BATFE be sold any ammunition EVER AGAIN? :mad:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 lr has disappeared from Walmart shelves. And when is asked about it, I was told they haven't seen any shipments over the last couple of weeks. Coincidence?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess Obama isn't satisfied with being the best ever promoter of gun sales, so, he will add ammo salesman of the century to his list of accomplishments. Three 'Hip-Hip Kabooms' for Obama!

Hip-Hip Kaboom! Hip-Hip Kaboom! Hip-Hip Kaboom!

Woody

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess Obama isn't satisfied with being the best ever promoter of gun sales, so, he will add ammo salesman of the century to his list of accomplishments. Three 'Hip-Hip Kabooms' for Obama!

Hip-Hip Kaboom! Hip-Hip Kaboom! Hip-Hip Kaboom!

Woody
Nah, all the poser in chief deserves at this point is two fingers up.
:finger::finger:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 lr has disappeared from Walmart shelves. And when is asked about it, I was told they haven't seen any shipments over the last couple of weeks. Coincidence?
Was in Walmart this afternoon. The shelves were stocked to the brim, with more ammo than I've seen them carry during the entire reign our our Dear Leader Barry Soetoro, with one exception, 22LR. Wasn't a .22 rimfire in the house...

Latest posts

Top Bottom